Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: new shop in the works

Yes that was the plan Stu. Also provides some insulation from the slab. They make a product just for this type of application. 16x16 squares with a plastic backing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I can only imagine that much space

I understand the want to put in a slab it sure it easier, and down the road the space could be converted to use for cars etc, but I have to say that having made the MISTAKE of not putting a wooden floor on top of my concrete one, I would very seriously suggest that if you do end up with a slab, at least float a wooden floor on it, maybe you can't run your duct work under it, but you can surely run some wires like a wire for the tablesaw in the middle of shop etc.

Really a wooden floor is the way to go, even on top of a slab!
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Yes Fred hydro is our electric company.

Quote Originally Posted by fred hargis View Post
    Congrats, sounds really cool. I've led a sheltered life in the states, so: "hydro" is electric (right?).
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

If they would let me build it as just a storage shed with plane simple construction I would & then later after inspection finish out the inside as I pleased.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Drew,

You make me so happy that I am not building a house at this time. I think back to our first custom house---it was a "No Sweat" deal. Everything went quickly and simply.

You have my sympathy and best wishes. Once when I had some sweat issues, Glenn said, "Dad it's a hobby. This is part of the hobby; try to enjoy it."

Oh, I could not get any of your pics. All I could get was black and white with the little spinning circle in the middle of it.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Sorry about the pictures I am not sure why they will not load. I will try again to take more pictures and see if it is the pixel size that has some effect. I usually shoot in RAW and then convert for posting so it could have something to do with the conversion. I will try again Thanks for letting me know about the problem. Yes I remember the days when it was so less complicated. It was just a simple thing with no fancy products that seem to demand engineers to get involved. I have built things way simpler and larger in way colder climates than here with no issues at all. I really miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Drew,

You make me so happy that I am not building a house at this time. I think back to our first custom house---it was a "No Sweat" deal. Everything went quickly and simply.

You have my sympathy and best wishes. Once when I had some sweat issues, Glenn said, "Dad it's a hobby. This is part of the hobby; try to enjoy it."

Oh, I could not get any of your pics. All I could get was black and white with the little spinning circle in the middle of it.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 04-30-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Building codes seem like they're often a mess. As one friend put it "not confusing the issue with logic".

Hopefully you'll figure out a way past the issue and be able to get some progress in while the weather is good. I'd be tempted to say it was uninsulated and then " change my mind" post construction as well.

So back to the drawing board with the plans and have gone back to my original plans with a simple footing and perimeter foundation wall of 24 inches. Will damp proof and then back fill and frame a floor and run the ducting under the floor. Yes I will insulate at a later date once everything is passed. It is after all a shop.

Drew...I wouldn't give up without paying for an hour or so of an engineer/architects time to examine all the code compliant methods of doing what you want. You might find solutions in terms of methods and timing that are not as expensive as you think and it would give you what you want without regrets. There is usually more than one way to skin the cat.

Yes Ted I have talked with an engineer and he is tied up for the next 2 months with projects but I have told him what I am looking at doing and he said he might be able to come by and look at it next week to figure something out. Once the engineer stamps it the inspector can say nothing to how I am building it.

So after careful consideration and talking to the inspector I have decided the size of the shop that is allowable without engineering is 592 sqft which allows a 20 x28 ft shop/ garage. Am meeting with a couple of local contractors in the next two days to talk about what can be done as well as costs to what ideas they have and what they have run into before dealing with this inspector. See what kind of price they can give for just the slab and or to do all the framing. Not that I cant do that but if the price is right and I can work with them.