Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: new shop in the works

The pics are great, what a lovely place you have, paint me green with envy!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Beautiful piece of earth you have there .....
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Oh yeah! Great looking slice of heaven. Looks like you have good stable soil too. Also looks like you have cut pretty close to a couple of large trees doing your site prep. FWIW my experience on a couple hundred sites, and a general rule of thumb doing site planning around here is that if you impact more than 50% of a trees root system (from the trunk out to the edge of the drip line), the odds are good the tree will go into a gradual decline and be dead within a few years. Might be different in your climate, but worth considering. Sometimes better to take them down now when you have lots of room to drop them, instead of waiting and then having to hire a pro because the problem tree is right next to your building. Also, if you change the grade around the tree by filling much more than 6 inches, the tree won't be too happy.

Wow! What a great location!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

We were very careful with the excavation and not going too deep ( this is why I have been having to figure what is the best way to do this without going down 2-4 ft with the footings and wall. That large cedar tree will be staying and we were very careful in not touching any of the roots. The only roots we ran into were those of the two big fir stumps we had to take out as well as lots of small struggling scrub trees that were half dead. Surprisingly the roots were not deep on any of the big trees there. I am looking now at putting the foundation wall around three sides of the building and will be back filling up to the building by aprox two feet. We had planned to take down the one maple behind the shop and that has to be done before any work starts. I still have another maple along the power line route that has to come down as it is right in line with the shop and by the looks of it we will be going underground with the power lines.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    ....Surprisingly the roots were not deep on any of the big trees there. ....
    Most tree roots are in the top 18"....up where they can breathe and find moisture. Another area of concern is drainage. If you are cutting into a side hill, make sure there is enough space on the uphill side for a swale to carry away water, maybe even consider a foundation drain to daylight on three sides, just in case the swale gets overwhelmed.

Have been very careful with the trees Ted no large roots were touched. There will be a foundation wall now so there will be back fill and drainage around the three sides ( though we do have good drainage here ). It has been a challenge dealing with this build as I am on an island and limited to manpower that know what they are doing. This is why I have resigned myself to hiring a contractor to come in with his crew to do the job. I have formed bigger jobs as well as framed lots but now with my injuries I am limited to what I am able to do. It really is frustrating as I am chomping at the bit to get it all started. I could be getting the forms all built and such but promised the wife I will not do a thing.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    .......................... lol Getting older sucks when the body reminds you that your not a kid anymore.
    Yep, but still, no better feeling than knowing you did it yourself nice couple of hours of work
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Makes me sore just reading about digging that many holes. Of course I'm envisioning the nice red clay soil we have around here and the high water table that turns it all into a concrete paste on my augers with each jab. Looks like a nice days work.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Gotta hand it to you. Hand digging all those holes would take me a week. Of course, my method is to dig a hole and then sit and have a beer, dig a hole, have a beer. It's only good for a few holes a day, but very relaxing