new shop in the works

Still working on the building as Have a few days to get the facia on and the roof on before the next wave of rain hits us. Had a few issues with the roofing membrane. Tried out this new product called Rhino roofing underlay. Its a synthetic material like the stuff they wrap lumber in for shipping. Warranty say only two ways to attach it, roofing nails or plastic head staples. I went with the nails and the damn thing shrunk in the sun and tor multiple holes at the nails. Found this out during a heavy rain we had and the floor was soaked, so back to the lumber store with my complaint and they gave me two new rolls ( no questions and no charge) of the next more expensive synthetic underlay called Gold. Bugger the nails or plastic headed staples I just stapled it down on top of the Rhino and it has held just fine and more important no leaks. So metal roofing is here and now just have to get the 14 ft sheets up onto the roof. Might add besides some help from neighbors with the concrete pour and standing walls and getting the ply on the roof I have done all this by myself. bad knees and shoulder have not made this easy. Lots of breaks and pain pills. Of course the new hot tub really has come in handy too.

Whoohoo! Pictures!! You're coming along nicely, Drew...and kudos to you for all the DIY you are putting into this build. It's gonna be a great space.

That is one heck of a crawl space. Is that just to raise the building up? I wish I had a crawl space that tall. Mine is just short enough you can crawl on your hands and knees, so you have to do a belly crawl everywhere.

Drew,

You are looking great and it sure looks like Carol does not stand a chance of catching up with you with construction.

It would be sooooo cooool to build a new shop from scratch. However, there is no way it is going to happen. I have wonderful neighbors and my land is small (Land is expensive in So. Cal. in case you haven't heard). So staying with wonderful neighbors and no shop re-do is the way of it.

Enjoy and do NOT abuse your body too much,
JimB

The I planned the crawl space to be big enough to run the wires and ducting for the DC. As the plans started I thought what the hell let's make this comfortable to crawl in. Ans actually show a 12 inch stub wall on top of the concrete but when it came to building it I cheated and made the wall 4 1/2 inches taller and then dropped the slab down a little to squeeze out as much space as I could. I can do this now so might as well get as much of my wish list done as I can. Now we will.never run out of storage. ( I still have 2 more storage areas to build as well.

12096576_10152990694006548_5897627270339467115_n.jpg Windows in and roof is now fully on ( flashing and ridge cap arrived yesterday) Took the scaffolding down last night as the gutters are going on today. Next is the landing to build ( yet another inspection of concrete supports and framing) and the door installed, but first before the door is to move all the big tools into the shop as they are right in the way of the underground wiring from the shop to the house. I have to either get a machine in to move the tools or build a ramp or some other means to lift the tools ( 600+ lbs each). I have spent a few days emptying out storage buildings and moving rubber maids full of precious things under the shop. Still lots to do but one step at a time.

Last edited:
Hung the back door ( old steel one I saved from another job) and cut out and hung the double door ( New door and am I impressed with the construction) in the front. Lowered the two front windows 6 inches ( wife suggested it). Finally at lock up. Got most of the building paper on yesterday and perimeter drain all covered up ( pictures to post tomorrow) . I started to organize the inside and clean up Finally, Still some painting of boards to do inside as the weather changes. More important though we can start unloading the stuff we have been storing ( walking around for months) in the house. Doesn't sound like much but when you live in 800 sq ft it is huge to get the clutter out.

12180715_10153027131811548_1114106153_o.jpg Finally got the front landings roof on today. Been painting materials as I go to protect it from the weather and we had a few nice days with a few bad. Was able to get some of the rocks picked up and moved so the outside is looking better. I also built a deack on the back of the building ( need to get a photo of that ) where I will be installing a loading ramp so I can wheel the big topols up into the shop. The front landing turned out to be too high for a loading ramp. Its been a slow go as the temps drop too. have been mixing all the concrete in a bucket with the ready mix. Not big enough to call a truck in.

Last edited:
Well its officially November the rain has started. Time to find out how water tight everything is. so far so good but did run into a little drainage issue on the back of the building. Perimeter drain is in as required but the back fill has too much clay in it that it has created a dam of sorts and is holding the water back from getting to the perimeter drain. So out in the rain to unearth some of the felt cloth to allow the foot of water to drain. looks like I will be putting more drain rock against the building in the area of he clay. Minor tweek but on the good note the crawl space is bone dry.

12189776_10153034645876548_5208221168487827354_n.jpg with the cooler temps anything painted takes time to dry. Been pre painting all the deck and handrail materials for the past few days inside the shop. installed the Balusters today after I drained the small lake behind the shop Due to a layer of clay that runs through the property but this is the highest spot of it ( only in the corner of the building) , the rest of the property it is 3 ft down. Good test with the water accumulation of a foot deep it didn't leak inside the foundation. ( didn't flow into the perimeter drain mind you just continued to build up ) I will be going out to get some different drain cloth tomorrow as this stuff I was highly recommended to work isn't. I need to flush out the drain tomorrow as well as I lifted the cloth in one small spot and it was like pulling the plug on a bath tub. Woosh it was all drained in minutes.

Last edited:
Hi Stu, Thanks, The siding has always been corrugated galvanized siding and that is still the case but have played around with the design for a few reasons. On the gable ends there will be a 2x8 cedar running from soffit to soffit with cedar channel siding above it. There will again be a 2x8 cedar band around the building at deck height with the channel siding below it. The corners will be capped in cedar siding (White) the windows and doors will have cedar going from soffit to lower cedar band on each side ( white again) and the space between filled in with channel cedar siding Colour still to be chosen) . everywhere else will get the Galvanized siding filling it in. That is the general idea and as I get to that phase things might still get tweeked. All the cedar will be painted ( had thought of leaving it natural but with the sun baking down on the face side it will dry out way too fast )

Just finished pouring the pad for the stairs. Because of the lay of the land and having to back fill lots up to the front of the building ( 1 ft up the wall to 2 ft out). as per the inspectors request. I came up with the idea of building some planters 2 ft out from the building and 1 ft up the wall. So by doing that I could get around a sloping ground issue. Then we have two planter boxes outside the shop with deer resistant plants that like the heat like yuka plants that we just happened to save from the old Fulford inn last summer before it was bulldozed.

Spent a good part of the day moving things around yet again. Digging through some of the storage buildings trying to find some of my old ceiling lights that came from the old shop. I had found one but it turns out I was working under old fish aquarium florescent tubes to stimulate plant growth. lol Its getting a little over whelming at times as I get a few things done in the day but feel I have just been spinning my wheels going no where. I am dying to get the hydro all hooked up and re routed but I still have to wait to get this damn final inspection done before I can build the ramp on the back of the shop. ( all the big tools are in an enclosure right in the path of the trench I have to dig to get access to the existing panel ). Still looking for an electrician as the last guy just moved off island so lost the guy who was going to do the work. I have most everything to do it but I don't mess around with the main hook up. I will wire the shop but the big panel needs yet another permit.