new shop in the works

Yea nothing has been said about that here. If it was gas line or I guess "the" main feed, I could see it as being an issue but this will make the house a sub feed with a breaker in the shop to shut the house down completely.

Drew are you only using the aluminum wire for the connection to the main panel? I presume you are aware of the need to use specific hardware with aluminum.
Shrewd move on your part given the cost of low gauge copper wire for same purpose, its just the termination that's important as you definitely don't want oxidizing joints on either end with the current you going to pull for your machines. I would not use it inside from panel to receptacles that can be a pain in the rear from what i am seeing happening in this home i have rented with a mix of conductor type.

Yes this is just going from the shop to the house underground. ( its the only spot that it is still allowed in residential ) I actually picked up the heavy water proof coaxial shielded cable that didn't even need to be in a conduit but it just gives all the added protection just in case something happens. 80 ft for $150.00. Copper would have been around $800. Code here doesn't allow anything but copper in all applications unless it is something like the feed to the house. I was happy to hear this as it sure save me lots in the cost. The electrician had me feed a string through to pull the wire which I did but ended up just pushing the wire 1 1/8 wire through the 2 inch conduit easier than trying to pull the beast through. I got 20 ft extra in the wire just in case of some unforeseen situation.

What.....? You are not done yet?

What is this a government job :eek:

All kidding aside, you must be getting real anxious to get in there and start to really set up shop! :thumb:

LOL yea Stu. I am going as fast as I can but it is working out to be a design as I go thing. I ran into a few design changes to the finishing that I hadn't expected. I need to paint 4 more 2x4's good 3 side cedar for the gable but they don't carry such things here on Salt Spring so they have to be ordered from Victoria. Then painted and then installed asap as this will work against me getting the hydro hooked up. still have a run of 2x4s still to paint too as soon as the shop warms up a bit. Oh then I am off to a level 3 first aid course in a week for 2 and have to study all next week for that. Yea pretty close to a government job. lol

12507380_10153146897076548_1234099356537042335_n.jpg Picture from the crawlspace under the shop. This is a R12 insulation on a foil backing for use on concrete walls. has a 4 inch flange on each side for attaching. Comes in 2,3,and 4 ft x 50 ft rolls. I had to attach a 2x4 plate to the footing first and then just hung the material using staples. They recommend a 1x2 strip but it wouldn't work in this situation.

BC Hydro came by today to look and see if what I want to do is possible. Of course there was no issue but they had to come by and see the exact scope of the job. They were actually happy that I am upgrading as the old system was modified and was done against code. I explained that this was the reason I was looking for the upgrade. Anyways its all a go to get the service changed over. I was out installing what siding I have in the area that the meter will be going in. The painting of the siding is becoming an issue and I might just have to hold off till I can actually get some power in the shop so I can run some heaters. Extension cords are just not enough and the propane heater is going through 3 bottles in 3 days just to dry the paint. Of course this is Canada and it is winter.

Electrician was by yesterday to have a look and everything is moving right along. I brought down the one maple tree that was in the path of the service line. That was one for the books as it was in a clump of cedar and fir trees. Base was a good 16 inches in diameter and the tree stood a good 70 ft. I climbed a ladder to put a rope around it at mid height and then cut the base keeping tension on the line. Sure enough it got hung up on the neighboring trees mid fall. Thought to myself "well this is a fine mess" as I was looking at the situation and pondering a solution the tree gave out a pop and then started to go. It went right where I was trying to avoid but not on the house or power lines but it landed right on top of the wood shed. Lucky no damage but it was down. Cut up for turning wood and fire wood. Yea didn't tell the wife about this as she is an insurance agent and its just best to let her think it all went as planned. :)

Glad to see it "went as planned", Drew.:D:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Ted, best laid plans you know lol. So upon close examination today the wood sheds metal roof showed no signs of a tree falling on it yesterday, at all. I am still amazed at that. Ground all cleaned up today. The Galvanized corrugated siding never showed up yesterday so its another week before that will arrives ( I hope). Dragged all the cedar channel siding inside that I had out under a tarp only to find the wind had blown it off and everything is soaked. So inside the shop to dry it all out and maybe it will be dry next month to paint.

Hydro was by last week and changed out the transformer from the 100 amp old one to the 200 amp can type. They said they will have to run all new lines to the shop which I was expecting. I had to clear a few more branches out of the way. Still have a few more to go. I installed the meter base and panel so all that is ready to go. Took down the dry wall around the existing panel so all that is cleaned up and ready to go. Should be pretty simple to mount the mast and run the wires. Oh I did get a refresher in how metals react together as I screwed the Aluminium meter bracket with the Aluminium adapter for the mast. once screwed together out side of dry ice. nothing will let you unscrew it. Had to go get two more to replace those. Just stepping back and leaving it all for the electrician now.

The electrician was by yesterday and attached all the wires to the main panel as well as put up the mast. Everything is ready for Hydro ( the power company) to come and replace the feed wires and hook the shop up. Then the house can be hooked up again. Putting a full house surge protector in as well that way I can get rid of all the surge bars around the house. Took 6 hrs to do all the line feeds as its Aluminium and even though a bit easier than copper it can snap. Just relieved to know that it will be next Thursday when they come and hook it all up to the grid. Then once the inspections are all done I can start running the wires in the shop. I have been having problem right now finding 2x4 surface mounting 2 bulb fixtures. I have two from my last shop but need more. Seems since the LED came out T8 fluorescents are a thing of the past. Can find lots of drop ceiling mounted lights. They even now are pushing the T5 5 bulb florescent lights that are similar to the old 2x4 but I have 8 T8 LED tubes. Just need boxes to put them in. Sadly I purchased 1x4 boxes just in case I cant find what I am looking for. I will try and get some pictures taken in the next few days if the rain lets up.

Drew u tried HD I got electronic ballast 4ft T8 fittings there.
As for Led I am way far from being convinced about their merit at current fixture pricing.

Have a client that just got a quote on a whole building retrofit and savings in running cost not that big will take over 10 years to payback at our rates. So the environmental crowd have a ways to go to get me to switch.
Of course depends on load factors too in industrial.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yes Rob I have tried HD as well as a few building supply stores in the area as well as all the electrical wholesale stores but they have stopped making the 2X4 surface mount boxes now by the looks of it. The benefits of the LED in the shop is no temp issues like the conventional bulbs. Also major savings in the power costs. The only reason we converted was Costco had a screaming good deal on the bulbs so we bought all of them at that time. It was under 100 to do the entire house. It only cost 200 for 14 Led tubes for the florescent fixtures in the shop. 27 per pack of 2. the cost of LED panels is ridiculous I have priced them out in the 200 range each. If I had not gotten the bulbs at the prices we had I wouldn't have gotten them. We have noticed a significant drop in the hydro costs though. That is until I get the shop up and running. :)

Last edited:
untitled-4.jpguntitled-5.jpguntitled.jpg Just a couple of pictures of the progress of the outside of the shop. The inside is just a mess with stuff everywhere Its more a storage building at present. under and above the windows will be horizontal bevel siding painted the same colour or the gable end. I only got half of it up as the paint wasn't drying enough in the cold and I only needed enough to get the mast up.

Attachments

• untitled-2.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Thanks for all the compliments. the siding is galalum It is galvanized corrugated siding with an aluminium finish on it. The siding on the gable ends is a channel lock siding and there will be beveled siding above and below the windows and all around the bottom. I know its just a shop but I wanted something to stand out. This could in the future ( when I am unable to do anymore wood working ) turned into a residence or a rental unit so it had to have some style to it. I really had no idea in the design phase of this it just came to me as work progressed. What if I did this how would that look? The colour was a spur of the moment choice where I had an idea and of something a little Mexican with something bright and colourful. Not just to blend into the surroundings but stand out in a happy cheerful way but not too overwhelming. Personally I will just be glad to get this part over with as its the last thing for the inspection. Oh and I got the call today that the power company will be by next Thursday to do all the connections. Finally will have power in the shop. :)

Last edited:
12661896_10153199899406548_7429080994892523953_n.jpg Power company ( BC Hydro) Came and hooked the power up a day early. Everything went like clock work. Added a full surge system to the shop and house at the main panel that will protect all the electronics. Also have bit the bullet and bought a few of the new 20 volt Dewalt tools. New xp drill, impact, light, circular saw, drywall gun, oscillating tool and short recip saw. Got a screaming deal on the drill combo set for less than cost that came with three batteries then the sale of the rest was 3 tools included a second charger, 2 batteries and a tool box. Picked up the light and drywall gun just because I will use them. I'm very impressed with the new 20 volt system. Having al the batteries being 4 amp means I will not be running around recharging all the time. On the down side the company getting the siding order screwed up and it will not be delivered for two more weeks. It sucks but we will be on Vacation in Cuba for the next two weeks so it will hopefully be waiting for me on our return.

Last edited: