new shop in the works

Back from vacation and right back at it. Picked up and installed the siding I ordered before we left. Just finished wiring the lights in the shop. 6 t8 Led tubes that replace the T8 Florescent tubes. Saving of 50%. Still lots to do with wiring and then insulation and dry wall.

Cuba was fun but we were 6 months too late. The Cuban Peso ( CUC Peso) is being based on the US green back. So there are no savings like if you went to Mexico. This all changed in the past few months. We were told that American airlines will be flying 150 flights a week or day into Cuba. With Varadaro having 90% occupancy we have no idea where any one will be staying. Lots of the tourists we talked to said this was their last trip as it is way too costly now.

What!? You're kidding right? For me the layout would help determine window and door placement, lights, outlets, etc. Currently my shop fits (kind of) my space, but someday I will build a space to fit my shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10173769_10153275079156548_4579294283437924606_n.jpg Just got the cedar painted and on. Bill I am wiring the shop to suit where the tools will be placed. I am a bit over whelmed by the size. that was the only reason I asked. I have been looking through other sites that seem to be more helpful rather than critical for asking a question. Really I am disappointed with your reaction and sort of the reason I left this site years ago.

Boy I bet you feel great looking out your window each morning and seeing the shop coming together like that!
I know, I know, lots of work yet to do on the inside, but the inside of a workshop, in my experience, is seldom finished, because our tools/need/focus changes over time.

Looking really nice Drew, what are you going to do around the shop, for landscaping?

Cheers!

Boy I bet you feel great looking out your window each morning and seeing the shop coming together like that!
I know, I know, lots of work yet to do on the inside, but the inside of a workshop, in my experience, is seldom finished, because our tools/need/focus changes over time.

Looking really nice Drew, what are you going to do around the shop, for landscaping?

Cheers!

Hi Stu, Yea it is feeling good to get to this stage. I spent a few days backfilling by hand around the shop. had to fill dirt 1 ft up and 2 ft out from the building as per the inspectors request. But the back is where all the water flows and I have to get more drain rock in to fill that up before covering it over. So while waiting on that I started digging out the open area beside the shop where I will be building a carport. All manual work right now as the area is big enough to wish I could get a machine in and yet small enough that it would be a waste of money. I did get some nice material today for the deck around the hot tub as well as dimensional clear cedar lumber Full 2x6 for a garden table and arbor. Still lots to do that is taking me away from the inside of the shop. weather mostly as it has been nice out the past week and I have been getting the outside stuff all done and saving the inside stuff for the not so nice a days. Found the floor in the pump house is starting to go as well so not that has bumped it up to the top of the list. Will be taking that down and pouring a concrete pad big enough for the pump house and garbage/recycling and wood storage. So the building will be almost 6x16 aprox when it is done but again two stumps to remove first. Yes all by hand. when I an doing that pour I will get the footings ready to pour for the carport as well as the mechanical room. So one truck might be able to do it all in one delivery.

Not yet Stu. I have to get the final inspection done first. Then the wiring and then I can start the insulation and drywall. Doing the 120 volt outlets right now. Once those are done then I wire in all the 240 volt tools.

Really looking great Drew! At least all the dirt you are moving is, well, dirt and not rocks!

You are going to have a blast organizing all those tools!

Rocks ? yep had lots of rocks to move this past weekend. Three utility trailers full. 20160409_121412.jpg found a nice little spot on the property to put them though. Wife said nice river bed in the garden. lol

Attachments

• untitled-2.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 28
untitled.jpguntitled-2-2.jpguntitled-3.jpg Finally got all the base gravel in after the ground dried up a bit. laid out geo-tech cloth on top and then covered it with the top soil ( not the clay rich stuff from before) so with all this done I am finally ready for the last inspection and can focus on getting the inside done. The removal of the rocks have left lots of space to get the jeep in as well as loads of space left for the two 1500 gallon water storage tanks that will go in to the passenger side of the jeep. Once the carport is in the roof water will all channel into those two tanks for summer watering.

I did get some wiring done this past weekend and now have two walls wired with outlets and hooked up the shop stereo ( finally ) and did a neighborhood sound check. No insulation or drywall and the sound turned louder than I would ever listen to it and I am impressed at how much the sound is baffled. means the tools may not required the more sound deadening insulation ( that cost more). Just simple pink glass. I did however put more thought into the shop and tool locations as well. Need to wire in the light drops for the lathe and the outlet for the ceiling filter as well as the smoke detector. Looking at it now I am seriously looking at my wall space shrinking fast. I still have to dedicate a certain spot for the wood stove as well and that can only go in two spots so things have to work around those too. Once all that is done then the 240 volt wires get installed and the DC will take up some of that space right now. Later it will go into a addition outside the building.

I have to pay $80/ton for those river rocks! You've got the finish line in sight now and with that grading done, most of the heavy work is behind you, right?:thumb::thumb:

If you do want more sound insulation, I have had great success with the Green Glue product, you just put on a second layer of drywall, with the Green Glue in between it, easy to apply, and not stupid expensive, and boy does it work!

green_glue.jpg

Why not do it now while you can do it fairly easily?

Just thinking out loud here.

Cheers!

Not yet Stu. I have to get the final inspection done first. Then the wiring and then I can start the insulation and drywall. Doing the 120 volt outlets right now. Once those are done then I wire in all the 240 volt tools.

You don't need insulation in lotus land, do you? I visit Vancouver Island from time to time, as my son has a house, and inlaws, out there. I dropped by Salt Spring Island for a couple of hours. It's nice, but so is every part of Vancouver Island. Lucky man!

Went into the inspection office today to get the final clearance and wouldn't you know it the electrical papers still hadn't been filed. Called up the sparky and thought they should have been oh well will be done tomorrow.

Last edited:
So I am adding two layers of drywall glued together with the magic green glue? With the added cost of double the drywall and the glue not to mention extending all electrical out and door jambs I might as well just use rez bar and do the same thing for far cheaper. The transmission of sound is usually between the stud and the wall board so rez bar stands it off providing the buffer, but in my case we have no other buildings closer than our house that is 50 ft away and the neighbors are no closer than 300 yrds and over a hill through the woods. Not overly concerned about disturbing the neighbors. Just didn't want it to be too loud for the neighbors that walk up and down the street ( and they are still over 50 ft away from the shop). But thanks Stu I will have a look into the product.
If you do want more sound insulation, I have had great success with the Green Glue product, you just put on a second layer of drywall, with the Green Glue in between it, easy to apply, and not stupid expensive, and boy does it work!

View attachment 95286

Why not do it now while you can do it fairly easily?

Just thinking out loud here.

Cheers!