new shop in the works

Ha Ha Roger, Yes it is paradise here. We are down the south end just down from beaver point hall. ( near Ruckle park). Island life is amazing. Just have to remember everything is done on island time. :)
You don't need insulation in lotus land, do you? I visit Vancouver Island from time to time, as my son has a house, and inlaws, out there. I dropped by Salt Spring Island for a couple of hours. It's nice, but so is every part of Vancouver Island. Lucky man!

So Final inspection ( if you want to call it that) is done. Took photos in to show it was all done. Oh wait where is the electrical inspection report? Quick call to the sparky and its there the next day. All the ducks in a row and that is it. Inspection report is done and I am clear of all the hoops I have had to jump through. Funny thing the inspector again asked if it was insulated. Umm No and showed the pictures. So now with all that behind me I can insulate the damn thing and get the drywall up. A few wires to run first for all the big tools and the Smoke detector and air filter along with wiring the back wall and framing for the wood stove stack. Just inside stuff left though now and maybe a 2 weeks worth of work to go. But first the wife goes in for surgery tomorrow for eye surgery to fix a hole in the retina so can get more of the shop stream lined and cleared up of things that have gotten shoved into the shop for storage over the winter months. Clear the baker off and get at it. Then I can finally move the rest of the tools into the shop and get back to work. lol

Drew I used this product in my old shop costs a fair bit but definitely works. It does create a bit of a pain with regards to receptacle housings. I noticed the other day it's now available at home Depot costs $16 per tube and let me warn you don't skimp on using it.
Follow instructions.
When I borrowed Allens sound measuring device, and measured sound it was not possible to hear or measure my Dewalt dw735 planner running on the exterior of my shop.
My build though was 6 inch stud bay filled with R22 roxul ,vapor barrier then two layers of 5/8 fire rated drywall with green glue between .
Sadly it's all in landfill now. :(
But it worked so well the biggest noise in the neighborhood was NN own air-conditioner making a racket.

Note all this "insulation" plays well when winter comes and u want to keep shop heated at a sensible cost.
Also it's not summer when u want the sound proofing, it's for winter when things outside are very quiet. Of course you guys don't get real winter lol but you still all stay in doors :)

Last edited:
Thanks all yes it feels good but has not really sunk in yet as with Janet going in for surgery and will be out of commission for the next 2 weeks I am slave 1 at her side making sure she stay put and helping where needed. So insulation and wiring etc is on hold for a few weeks. Gives me a chance to think more of where I want to put things. when I get the chance I will get into the shop and clear some space.

Just picked up the insulation for the shop. R-20 for te walls and a combination R-20 and R-12 for the ceiling. Blown in is not an option here as it has to come from off island and that can get expensive. So fill the cavity with the R-20 then lay the R-12 across the R-20 at a 90° angle to the joists. It's old school but then again I'm old. Lol

Again the only issue I'm dealing with now is that I have a load of material for another project inside the shop. So I am taken away from the shop to do the deck around the hot tub. Spent a good part of two days cutting up and burning small stumps to clear up some of the excavation from building the shop. Good time to get rid of lots of yard waste too. Rocks still have lots of rocks to move. One day at a time though and one project at a time.

.13102832_10153373017096548_1450183596376960845_n.jpg13138743_10153372593771548_1354552253037449814_n.jpg So took some time to build a deck and finish off the wiring before I started insulating (One of my favorite jobs ). spent the day getting 2/3 of the ceiling done with an R 32 Value. Walls are R 20. Lots of stuff to move around the shop to just get this done. Can only blame myself for loading the building up when I did. Took the large storage rack down and stuffed everything that was on it under the building. Temps have been hot here so have been in long sleeves and pants all day sweating like a bugger. Of course I am doing everything to code so Plastic boxs had to be installed on all outlets and electrical boxes too. Thinking three steps ahead with the tool locations as well and I will need to build an extension to the building to house the DC. One of the things I had to build after the inspection as they wanted to charge a ridiculous amount for a 19 ft extension to the front landing. So just do it after. DC has to be in a separate room as it can be noisy. will insulate it with sound deadening materials so the neighbors dont get upset ( not saying they will as they live 500 yards away but still ). Of course as usual I have to move everything inside the shop to do the insulation and then once again for doing the drywall. Attic hatch installed and have to position the wood stove to frame in for the chimney.

Last edited:
"One of the things I had to build after the inspection as they wanted to charge a ridiculous amount for a 19 ft extension to the front landing. So just do it after. DC has to be in a separate room as it can be noisy." Must be a big big big DC to take up 19 Ft.

13267752_10153413556631548_4134141803201437387_n.jpg13267804_10153413556791548_4528686474856295033_n.jpg13263799_10153413556851548_4371750706854354747_n.jpgSpent time finally getting the last few 220 volt wires in and then cleaned up as much of the place as i can right now. Cleared space and I ordered the drywall today. Still have to get the stove pipe in to the roof and the bump out off the back of the building to house the DC. Progress all the same. I assembled the drywall lift I bought ( seems the rental shop doesn't have one on Salt Spring island so found a deal on one. Moved everything to the one side of the building once the ceiling is half done and one wall I will have to move it all again.

One further issue I have to deal with is the disposing of the scraps of drywall. Dumps are now refusing to accept drywall after asbestos was found unreported in a few loads. So I have to carefully plan out the use with minimal waste.

That drywall lift is a real help Drew. Only thing i found was getting sheet on it still requires a helper. Would be real nice if they came up with a unit that allowed picking it from floor.
I sold my unit to my last neighbor, it takes a load of space to hold onto it after job is done and i promised myself never again do i do drywall. Lol

Shop is looking real good.

You going to leave the floor concrete???

Think on possibly putting in a wood subfloor ...your body will love you for it as you age.