new shop in the works

Really looking great Drew? So, how will you get rid of the drywall? A couple of scraps in the trash can at a time?

Sharons dad helped build a new church in their town. He saved every single scrap of drywall and put it in piles on his driveway.

They sat there for years until one day a bunch of us were there for a holiday. While he was napping we loaded it all up in my truck and took it to the dump.

He was none too pleased with us for doing him the 'favor' of getting rid of all that rain soaked rotten random chunks of drywall. LOL

That drywall lift is a real help Drew. Only thing i found was getting sheet on it still requires a helper. Would be real nice if they came up with a unit that allowed picking it from floor.
I sold my unit to my last neighbor, it takes a load of space to hold onto it after job is done and i promised myself never again do i do drywall. Lol

Shop is looking real good.

You going to leave the floor concrete???

Think on possibly putting in a wood subfloor ...your body will love you for it as you age.

Floor is wood. 5/8 t&g glued to 2x10 fir joists on 16" centers. All 42 inches off a concrete crawl space.

So drywall delivered on Teusday. Have help if I need it lifting the sheets but I have done it all before myself. Yes this will be the last drywall I will be doing. Getting too old for this anymore. The scraps will go into the fire pit and will mix up with the ash. Of just toss them into a rough coa landfill site I have on the property. With my figuring there shouldn't be much in the way of scrap if it goes as planned.

Drywall arrived today and the new lift is making short work of the ceiling and the 5/8 board. Unfortunately I have to move everything out of the way first. I really hate moving things around again. Put wheels on my large bench t help eas this process.

Those lifts are really nice, I bought one a few years back to do the metal ceiling in my shop, which has yet to be done. Cost wise it's not that big of a deal, it will be having to move things a section at a time to get the job done that has put it off (and house projects). I have used the lift a dozen or more times to lift things up to the storage area above my office, which is about 9' up, so it's got some use. :)

Ceiling board is up and some is taped. The lift wrked perfectly for the 5/8 board. A bit of a challenge working around all the stuff but its done. Had to get one wall totally done ( mud, taped and painted) so I could free up the floor space to do the other walls. Things are coming along slowly as I work around all the obstacles in my way. I started to build the back 6x8 room on the back of the building that will house the DC. Weather was screaming hot here for a few weeks so had to squeeze in getting the chimney installed before the drywall could all go up. Also fire ban came into place so had to get the trees bucked up and spent a few days doing that. Still have over a cord to bring down a goat trail from the gary oak medow with a wheel barrow. Juggling lots of things at the same time right now but have sworn to just get this boarding and mudding all done just to get the shop all done. This is the last of the building to do before setting all the tools up and building benches, shelving, wood storage. Will post pictures I a few days.

Last edited:
Have a garden tractor and trailer but the hill is well its solid rock and too steep to drive up. It is also through a Gary oak medow. The trees are very old and take a very long time to grow some could be hundreds of years old. So it all comes back to the barrow. Trust me if there was an easier way I would have done it.

Here are a few photos of the progress of the inside work. Though a little backwards. The first is the last after doing the walls to final sanding and painting Iu have moved everything to the walls so I can get the ceiling finished off. I got the taping done yesterday and will get the rest of the mudding done through the week and final painting. then install wood stove and call for the inspection. Then I can set everything up. The reason it cant be done any sooner is that if it is a shop we are not allowed to put the wood stove inside a shop unless it is in a seprate room. I am guessing due to wood dust fires. Of course no one I know has ever had this issue but with the latest wood dust fires in Northern BC they are just being overly cautious. So this is not a shop it is a art studio now. lol Just how you word things.

13445509_10153465878451548_5860176294691891992_n.jpg13442204_10153465879956548_8582820652540430209_n.jpg13267752_10153413556631548_4134141803201437387_n.jpg 13263799_10153413556851548_4371750706854354747_n.jpg

Last edited:
It's a great looking space, Drew. You really are on the home stretch.
You'll be comfortable and creative in there on damp days next winter with the stove on, the CBC in the background and the sound of a sharp hand plane.:thumb:

Yea Stu the last inspection but it is more a formality for insurance nothing to do with the actual building. I had the propane heater inside to get some heat inside the building to speed up some of the drying and it reached 27 degrees. It holds the heat really well so i can only imagine how warm it will be in the winter months.

Spent almost all of yesterday getting half the ceiling sanded and the seal coat of paint on. Sanding with a full respirator mask so no dust in the eyes or the lungs. Not that there is lots of sanding but each joint takes a little smoothing. Couple of spots needed tweaking then re-sanding. Then as I was getting ready to start the finish coat of paint I realized that I didn't have enough of the finish paint so had to run to the store to get some before it closed. Today I will get the finish coat on the half I have done then reinstall one bank of lights and then move all the stuff from one side of the building to the other so I can get the other half done. Then focus on the wood stove and getting the Wett inspection done on that. Then after all that I can start moving the remaining tools out of the storage building and into the shop and get the DC installed. Its been a long journey but feels good to get this building up and finished. There will still be lots to do with benches and cabinets but those are a progression as the shop develops and grows. Still have a vague idea in my head as to what i want but that will all take time. Wife went out yesterday and bought me a small beer fridge for the shop. I am waiting next for the hot plate microwave and cot to be delivered. LOL

13510885_10153476960526548_1588192680200122432_n.jpg That is it, ceiling is all done. Rushed through it, could use a second coat of paint but its a shop. I originally had not even planned to insulate or board it so this was all extra. Now to take a few days to rest ( over did it on the shoulder and Knee) then back at it cleaning up the mess and getting the wood stove installed. Then WETT inspection. Then setting tools up and building some temp benches. Still have a mechanical room to build for the house for the hot water tank and freezer and then pump house to rebuild along with wood shed. So little rest this year.

Looking good! Overhead drywall and painting is pretty rough alright, I feel your pain from a distance.

Getting the rest done should hopefully be a bit less painful once the shop is setup. At least hopefully you won't have to move everything 4 times to get it done.

Nice job Drew! :thumb: I agree with Ryan, overhead sanding and finishing can take a lot out of you. The last couple of remodels we've removed the pop-corn ceilings and went with smooth texture/paint, but understand why my dad always went with textured ceilings building houses. :)

Got the wood stove installed today. Spent the rest of the day with a cloth and air hose cleaning all the tools and things that were in the building during drywall. 12 hrs later I still have more to do but it is looking more oranized. Lots of my problems right now with the new building is setting up as lots of the cabinets and such all came from the old shop where lots of it came from my job at the school board and my saving old cabinets from class rooms and modifying them for use in the shop. Now I am designing the new shop trying to intigrate these old cabinets into it.

Last edited: