Thread: Found a new place to dump shavings!

Found a new place to dump shavings!

and help a fellow artist out at the same time.

There was a gallery open house in the area last weekend so we popped in to see a few of the local ones that looked interesting. One gal is a painter who also does pit fired ceramics where she takes the clay work and layers it into a pit with sawdust and bark then lights the whole thing on fire and puts a sheet of steel on top to finish firing it.

She's been mostly using pine and cedar and was fairly excited about the possibility of getting some hardwood shavings since they should burn somewhat hotter. So looks like a good win win where I can get rid of some shavings and they'll also go to a good use as well!

Very cool Ryan, that is a good use. I assume they need to be more shavings rather than saw dust (like from the DC)?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I assume they need to be more shavings rather than saw dust (like from the DC)?
    Not 100% sure, but I think both for different sections of the stack. Apparently you use sawdust as a base layer and then put paper and wood on top with the ceramics in the middle. I think that lathe shavings would probably work fairly well in replacement for the paper (as long as they're dry) so I hopefully she can use both. It also sounds like "contaminants" like nails and screws are fine since they just add some color

i found a good one too this year ryan. my barber will take all i can give to him, for use as chicken litter in his coops.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Yeah, I've been giving some to a friends chicken situation but he won't take cedar due to reported respiratory issues. Most of the table saw sawdust isn't good there either since it has glues and stuff in it that can be bad for them (he's all organic and selling eggs so the bar might be a bit higher than the average coop) so I've been skipping dumping sawdust there as well which limited it to planer and turning shavings from known ok woods.

Having a place to dump all and sundry types of shavings was pretty nice to find

I was kind of wondering where you were going with the barber for a second there, shavings to pick up hair

last year i donated 4 big bags of planer shavings to a local mushroom grower that uses it for bedding for the mushrooms to grow in.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I just took 4 bags with me to the yard waste recycling, they don't take the bags, but were ok with me dumping them out. I was ok with that too since I now have 4 bags to re-use.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault