fancy wood

I have a .22 conversion for my .45 that I use for weapon familiarity/handling practice. The choice is to practice proper form, grip and sighting at ten cents a pop with a .22, rather than a buck a pop for .45. I still shoot .45...just not as much. Maintaining proficiency is a major component of responsible gun ownership. If you own one, you should dang sure know how to use it.

There has been a lot of these 22 conversions for many guns. Specifically many of the AR platforms that can easily burn through hundreds of rounds very quickly. When you add up the numbers of new gun owners and new guns with this conversion for 22's, along with the idea some people are hoarding them, it is understood why they are scarce.

Rob, yes, big guns have an advantage many times, but for a bug out type scenario, a 22 kills more things, people included, than many of the other calibers. It is lighter, quieter, user friendly (less recoil), etc. There is an old saying about fearing an old man with a 22, he won't rely on spray and pray, he will properly place one bullet.

Sure, recoil is different, but the fundamentals are the same. That's why I still shoot my personal protection rounds through the .45 fairly frequently. For just plain plinking fun the .22 is still the cheapest bet. Maybe an air rifle is cheaper, and air soft is fun too.

I can also comfortably carry 500-1000 rounds of .22, where I'd need a wheelbarrow to carry that much in 45 (or at least that would be about all you're carrying)! This isn't to say that having a heavier caliber gun wouldn't be nice but you have to be a lot more parsiminous with your ammo usage.

Here's a chart I found on one of the survivalist forums that seems roughly close:
AmmoChart_02.jpg

Very nice looking pair of rifle's there. The one just looks to purty to actually shoot, but would sure look good next to my old 99.
Yes, it does appear that 22LR is on the come back, I sure wish I could reload it, the day of .02 cents a round does appear to be over though.

That is a pair of great looking rifles Chuck.
when I was young I always wanted a Marlin but could never afford the 70 bucks....

My nephew and I used to pick up enough pop bottles to buy a box of 22's then plink till they were gone and pick up some more bottles. Two cents a bottle and around 50 cents for a box of 22. All done while a 12 year old and a 8 year old were carrying rifle everywhere.

Now an 8 year old can't go to the park by themselves with out the police picking them up..

when I was young I always wanted a Marlin but could never afford the 70 bucks....

My nephew and I used to pick up enough pop bottles to buy a box of 22's then plink till they were gone and pick up some more bottles. Two cents a bottle and around 50 cents for a box of 22. All done while a 12 year old and a 8 year old were carrying rifle everywhere.

Now an 8 year old can't go to the park by themselves with out the police picking them up..
Might have been the same age or not much older doing pretty much the same thing. Not a sole though a thing of that 10 year old with a 22 pistol strapped to his belt. And go right in to the store with 2 quarters and buy a box of ammo.

Oh man Chuck i would love to have one of those. Beuties.

Is .22l ammo hard to come by? I would have thought it was freely available. Am i missing something?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob right after sandy hook you might remember they went after guns pretty hard. that scared a lot of people. Guns and ammo of all shapes and sizes flew off the shelves. 22 and 223/556 ammo disappeared almost overnight. That lead to price gougers and hoarders buying it up just as fast as it could be restocked. Now a few years later the hoarders seem to be filled up and 22 is showing back up on a regular bases. 223/556 showed up a lot faster maybe a year I think because it is centerfire, reloadable and the cost of having 1000 rounds is considerably higher.

Two cents a bottle was big money to a kid back then. Every kid had a scout knife in his/her pocket....and a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. I got a Stevens single shot .22 when I was 12 and roamed the back 40 with that rascal. Nothing was safe.

So guys where the heck did our generation stray and end up where we are now.
I did not have a .22 growing up but we did have an pelet gun (air rifle) and would walk streets with them and go "hunting" birds on the mine dumps and yeah coke bottles were real currency back then.

Somwhere between then and now something went horribly wrong.
We had a great adventurous childhood, now i feel sorry for the poor kids.
The pure fact that we have a advert on tv currently that promotes "giving back their wildhood" to the audience (go rving) says people are recognising something has gone tilt.
Hey thats an old pinball term lol.

And the really great part of it was 5 extra bottles would buy 2 16 oz RC Colas at 5 cents a bottle. You could work up a real thirst finding all those bottle then walking out somewhere to shoot.

My dad wouldn't let us pick up bottles along the road. There was an old veteran that was crippled from the war and he rode around on a bike with a big basket on the front (most of the time he was walking it) and dad felt we would be taking money from him. He did a great job of cleaning up the roadside. Now we had an old wino that would drink outside of town along a dirt road and at least once a month dad and I would take the 22's and "clean" the ditch up of his wine bottles!:thumb:

And so we flock

Attachments

• 20150420_202642.jpg
    20150420_202642.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150420_193423.jpg
    20150420_193423.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150420_193430.jpg
    20150420_193430.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150420_193442.jpg
    20150420_193442.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150420_194127.jpg
    20150420_194127.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150420_193905.jpg
    20150420_193905.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20150420_195350.jpg
    20150420_195350.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 27
Rack done and hung. I messed up when I made it I only had these 22LR so I made it to fit them and never gave it a thought that the barrel on the Big Boys is way bigger. So none of them fit in this rack. Good thing is I have another piece of birdseye. Bad thing is now I am going to have to buy 3 more 22's to fill this rack.:thumb:
And I don't know why the photo software loaded this sideways. But I can't fix it.:huh::huh:

Attachments

• henry rack.jpg
    henry rack.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
So I guess today being a rainy day here I might have to work on a Big Boy rack with 2 3/4" holes for the top instead of the 1 3/4"

I can also comfortably carry 500-1000 rounds of .22, where I'd need a wheelbarrow to carry that much in 45 (or at least that would be about all you're carrying)! This isn't to say that having a heavier caliber gun wouldn't be nice but you have to be a lot more parsiminous with your ammo usage.

Here's a chart I found on one of the survivalist forums that seems roughly close:
View attachment 90085

I have a turner friend that also does his own reloads... he uses the boxes of lead as weight on his lathes... a 1442 and a 1642... the bottom shelves probably have a 1000 pounds of lead on each of them.

Nice rifles Chuck, always thought rifles were stood with butt cheeks facing each other so narrowest part next to each other, fit more in rack that way.

Very nice rifles. Yes, the wood is beautiful. And, personally, I like the oiled finish. Rifles with high gloss finishes are garish, IMHO.
Rob, .22 ammo is used a lot in the U.S. It is used for everything from casual back yard target shooting, training, hunting, self-defense and predator control. Billions of rounds are used every year.