Tool Challenge

And the weed whacker wins hands down.

Way I figure it is this way.

If I was doing the week whacker, I could get that patch done in twice as long as the weed whacker demo guy.

If I was doing the Scythe - I would have a heart attack, end up in the hospital with medical bills, and need to hire someone 4-6 months later.

The scythe would cost 4,000 times more than the weed whacker and take at least 6 months to get the job done.

Weed Whacker WINS.

Just read up on peening the edge. Very interesting technique for maintaining a sharp thin edge. #LearnSomethingNewEveryDay

Just read up on peening the edge. Very interesting technique for maintaining a sharp thin edge. #LearnSomethingNewEveryDay

There are interesting but highly contested correlations between that and using a knife steel. The theory is that you're work hardening the edge (you still want to stone it after to polish it up a bit). For softer metals like bronze and copper it's essentially the only way you can get a usable edge (another diversion is historical pre iron age sword and knife making). For low to medium carbon steels it can also have a significant "impact". For high carbon and even more so for tool steels the effect is a bit dubious.

If I was doing the week whacker, I could get that patch done in twice as long as the weed whacker demo guy.

If I was doing the Scythe - I would have a heart attack, end up in the hospital with medical bills, and need to hire someone 4-6 months later.

The scythe would cost 4,000 times more than the weed whacker and take at least 6 months to get the job done.

Weed Whacker WINS.

I had a heart attack watching the scythe guy. :eek:

I have a scythe, and know how to use it.

I find it takes so long to keep it sharp (and it is useless unless it is very sharp) that I end up using the weed whacker.

I went to Sears looking for a new scythe to replace my weed whacker. The Sears employees must have thought I had a lisp, because they had no clue what I was talking about! :doh:

I went to Sears looking for a new scythe to replace my weed whacker. The Sears employees must have thought I had a lisp, because they had no clue what I was talking about! :doh:

If you're seriously looking to get a scythe look into the swiss/European style ones with a straight snath and a thinner lighter blade than the old american or British style. My dad at 66 still mowes 10+ acres of hay every year twice a year with one and reported that they were vastly easier to use. He also likes the aluminum snath because it's lighter and also doesn't require the maintenance of a wooden one (others like the feel of a wooden snath so YMMV).

A bit of a rant disguised as a review of various companies offerings can be found here: http://scytheconnection.com/scythe-buyers-guide/
They also have a wealth of information under the "Resources" link. More than you'd have thought existed and certainly more than you likely wanted to know but useful to browse.

A couple of the more likely retailers selling in the north american market.
http://onescytherevolution.com/quick-order.html
http://scytheworks.ca

Weed Whacker WINS.

Not so sure about that Leo, the way I see it is that the physical effort is quite similar on both, I would even say that is is bigger with the weed Whacker, as they guy makes more passes and it is far heavier to carry and move despite having it hanging from the shoulder.

The noise, fumes and the bad ventilation due to the shield wich makes you sweat, add negative points to it as well IMHO. But that's only my opinion.;)