Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experts in Horse Flesh here?

Any experts in Horse Flesh here?

We've got quite the herd of horses roaming the neighborhood right now.

Some of the mares are looking pretty 'double wide' right now and just about ready to pop.

There are also some pretty darn new little younguns roaming around.

Any idea how new some of these little guys are?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150421-IMG_1495.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	90174
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

its hard to believe there are still places in this country where horses roam free.

its easy to understand once you see the wide open space out in the southwest, but it still fascinates me wild horses roam around like that.

do you put water out for them to drink?

when we were there driving around the desert, I kept stopping the car because the cactus plants were incredibly beautiful, some with flowers, some the sheer size of them, and all just growing wild.
    Last time I priced a cactus plant here at a local nursery, they wanted something like 80 dollars for a tiny ugly plant.
    Last edited by allen levine; 04-22-2015 at 03:18 AM.
    Human Test Dummy

I'm no expert by any stretch of imagination, but the two little ones, the white one and the one just in front of him look to me to be just weeks old.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Hey, you could put up a corral next to the chicken coop
    Jesus was a Woodworker

It's against the law to feed or water them. The neighbors do have a watering tank out for them. Several years ago they got in some pretty big trouble for feeding them.

This herd is getting a bit bigger than last time, so we'll have to see what happens.

One year we had a mare go into labor right next to our place and the next morning there was a brand new little one running around. I think there's going to be several more little ones coming out of this herd in real soon.

The laws and politics out here concerning what are and aren't considered wild horses are pretty complicated and contentious. These aren't technically 'wild', they are considered 'estray'. The big difference is that if they were wild, they would be on blm land, and they would belong to the government. These aren't, so what happens to them is kind of up in the air. Last time the Nearby Indian reservation rounded them up. Not sure what happened to them after that.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

without looking up on google any laws pertaining to the horses, my guess is the govt doesn't want wild horses to be domesticated, they want them to be able to fend for themselves with no help from humans.
    for whatever reason the govt has, it seems a bit harsh to me not to offer water to animals that aren't a threat or danger to humans, then again, maybe the coyotes will drink and eat the food and they are dangerous.
    (someone got bit in New Jersey yesterday by a coyote, not an everyday occurrence around here)
    Human Test Dummy

Now you just trying to remind us of how great that area is that you live in.

What a sight to see. I could sit on your porch and watch them for hours. Pure freedom.

Brent would you be permited to have horses of your own for riding purposes on your own land out there?

Those that were corralled over yonder when I was out there for Bw were they ever up for purchasing a few?
    If you did/were able to do that would your land be able to sustain them ? Is your land fenced to keep them in if it were all possible.

Sorry for all the questions just curious as to options in the area.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Sorry I can't talk about that right now...I'm a little horse
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Now you just trying to remind us of how great that area is that you live in.

What a sight to see. I could sit on your porch and watch them for hours. Pure freedom.

Brent would you be permited to have horses of your own for riding purposes on your own land out there?

Those that were corralled over yonder when I was out there for Bw were they ever up for purchasing a few?
    If you did/were able to do that would your land be able to sustain them ? Is your land fenced to keep them in if it were all possible.

Sorry for all the questions just curious as to options in the area.
    If I wanted to, I could have some hay burning poop machines my own. The land would not be able to sustain them for long. If you look at any of the places that have horses, all vegetation inside the fence is gone in pretty short order. No fences on my land, and it's actually classified as open range. With the hills and rocks, Fencing it it would be a pretty big challenge.

The largest BLM adoption facility is just on the other side of the valley. That is where they offer up the adoptable wild horses they take off the range. The rest of the horses that get rounded up get shipped off to ranches in the midwest somwhere where they are stockpiled and live out the rest of their days eating hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Sorry I can't talk about that right now...I'm a little horse

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    without looking up on google any laws pertaining to the horses, my guess is the govt doesn't want wild horses to be domesticated, they want them to be able to fend for themselves with no help from humans.
    Exactly. The land out here is not all that hospitable and the horses compete with other wildlife. There are watering holes hidden away here and there and giving the horses water encourages them to expand their range. There is controversy over whether the horses are natural or an introduced species and they out compete with the antelope/deer and other animals. In fact, the wild horses on government land are managed and occaisonally rounded up to keep the numbers manageabl.

They look like they're a couple weeks old not more than a month.

You just need more land, maybe 2000-3000 acres then you could just graze the horses on it : D