Tablesaw Outfeed, Assembly Table, Drawer Unit

glenn bradley

Over the last few years you may have noticed me mention that I "gotta" get around to dealing with my makeshift outfeed table. It works but, is not an efficient use of space and could be better. I had an unexpected opening in my calendar so now's the time. As is my habit I have thought-up, borrowed, stolen or morphed every idea I have come across that has value for me. The result is this (you'll notice a resemblance in the top from an assembly table project in ShopNotes #124):

TS-Outfeed.JPG

I am still impressed with this Carbide Processors plywood blade even after a lot of cutting over the last year . . . well, a lot of sheet stuff for me anyway. I break down some parts out of the last of the shop ply I have around. I use BB ply for the top and most of the structural parts.

TS-Outfeed (1).jpg . TS-Outfeed (2).jpg

I laminate two pieces of 3/4" BB ply together with the "everything and the kitchen sink" approach. I normally shy away from the tablesaw as a work surface but, it was the widest, flattest thing available.

TS-Outfeed (3).jpg

And she came out nice and flat. I cut it to final shape (heavy beast) and the sled support earns its keep once again.

TS-Outfeed (4).jpg . TS-Outfeed (5).jpg . TS-Outfeed (6).jpg . TS-Outfeed (7).jpg

Last edited:
I use the adjustable dado jig I recently made to do rabbets and dados for the casework.

TS-Outfeed (8).jpg

I use the drill press and the router table to make a jig for the dog holes and clamp slots.

TS-Outfeed (9).jpg

The jig gets clamped in the first position and I use a 3/4" Forstner bit to make a shallow starting hole. This hole will be used to align the plunge router that I will use to make the actual dog holes. This assures my dog holes are nice and straight; something I have been not-so-good at with a hand drill, brace and auger and other methods I have tried in the past. The hot-pink post-it is to remind me not to cut a slot in the first position. This is just the kind of thing I would do if I got interrupted during this process.

TS-Outfeed (10).jpgTS-Outfeed (11).jpg

Once the first set of holes are each about 1/8" deep, I move the jig and register it with a couple of dogs . . . and repeat till I'm done.

TS-Outfeed (12).jpg . TS-Outfeed (13).jpg

Here is the dog hole "drilling" rig. I did a couple but am going to knock off for tonight; I'm bushed.

TS-Outfeed (14).jpg

Last edited:
I
attachment.php

I assume you have heard the term, "Everything but the kitchen sink."

I used a bunch of 8x8x16 cement blocks when building my 1st bench.

Enjoy,
JimB

My life has been one big interruption the last couple of days. Got all the holes finished. I decided to try a spray contact adhesive this time around.

TS-Outfeed (15).jpg

I sprayed the hardboard outside and it went on a-ok. I rolled and rolled and then took a large flat block and a dead blow mallet and walked the block all around the surface.

TS-Outfeed (16).jpg

Seems to have done all right. I'll use a trim router to clean up the edges. I'll drill a through hole in the skin and flush trim the holes.

TS-Outfeed (17).jpg

Once that's done I'll chamfer or roundover the outer edgers, dog holes and clamp slots. The slides just showed up so I guess the carcass and drawers are comin' up.

Its not often I outright advise against a product but . . . Despite several stops to clean the nozzle it outright failed about halfway through and just shot a stream. I was able to "draw" a good coverage pattern but, took an entire can to cover less that 12 square feet. This stuff will be on my "don't use" list. Unfortunately it was the one that tested best in a couple of reviews I read through. Next time I'll roll it ;-)

:lurk: Do you have a vacuum bag setup? Might work well for those top glue-ups in the future.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a bag and vac but, do this sort of thing so rarely I couldn't spare the real estate to store or use. I did get through the process and even have the outer edges trimmed already. Got interrupted again by a phone call though and now its pushin' bed time for this old goat ;-)

Last edited:
Timely thread for me Glenn...need to replace my outfeed table this summer sometime. I haven't seen that ShopnNotes issue...will have to go steal it from my dad after work today. :D

Spent time helping dad in his shop this weekend so progress at home has been a bit slow. I use a circle cutter to make the openings for the knobs that will hold the top to the carcass.

TS-Outfeed (19).jpg . TS-Outfeed (20).jpg

I square off the bottoms of these access holes with the jig saw. I also got started on gluing up the carcass.

TS-Outfeed (21).jpg

That's about it for me.

I got the carcass glued up sans back and the holes drilled in the top supports.

TS-Outfeed (22).jpg . TS-Outfeed (23).jpg

The counter-bore makes room for the retaining nut and the supports fit like so:

TS-Outfeed (24).jpg . TS-Outfeed (25).jpg

I still have several things to do like profile the edges and sand / finish the carcass . . . not to mention build and install the drawers but, this gives you an idea of where I'm headed.

TS-Outfeed (26).jpg . TS-Outfeed (27).jpg

This unit will replace the fixture you see standing behind it that has served as my outfeed for so long.

Last edited:
Forgot to Take the Before Picture

I still need to fine tune the height but, here it is excepting the back and drawers.

TS-Outfeed (28).jpg

You can see the purpose of the rear extension of the top now.

TS-Outfeed (29).jpg

I'm just gonna keep poundin' away at this thread for awhile even though making drawer boxes isn't the most exciting thing I've ever posted :).

Drawer parts.

TS-Outfeed (30).jpg

Drawer boxes.

TS-Outfeed (31).jpg . TS-Outfeed (32).jpg . TS-Outfeed (33).jpg
I cannot believe how much more room I have with this new outfeed. I should have done this a couple years ago :thumb:. I'll end up with more storage, more versatility and a smaller footprint. Whoo-hoo. :woot:

Last edited:
OK, I put the left side drawers in after breakfast. I'm gonna grab a cup of coffee and then knock out some drawer fronts and handles.

TS-Outfeed (34).jpg

After that I can put all the "stuff" in the drawers and get rid of the old fixtures.

Looking good, Glenn. :thumb: I've decided you can come to NM and help me figure out how to fit all my stuff into my new garage so I can use it as a shop. Of course, this will be after I get all the boxes of non-shop stuff moved out of the garage and either sold, donated, or put away in the house.. :rolleyes: