Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Read/Hear About It Once In a While, But

S E Washington State

You Read/Hear About It Once In a While, But

You do not think you will experience. What I am talking about is reading about some young kid dropping dead while playing some sports or something. Will last week my great nephew, 13 years old, collapsed in PE at school and essentially died. His heart stopped. The PE teacher immediately started CPR and kept it up for many minutes until the Fire Chief came. The Fire Chief came because there was no one else available to respond, they were all out on calls. The Fire Chief and PE teacher continued CPR until an Ambulance could arrive. Got him to the hospital and "brought him back" got him stabilized and had him flown to a hospital in a larger city that specializes in heart attacks. They discovered he had a rare heart condition and it required a pace maker to keep his heart beating correctly. Next morning he went in surgery, the following day they brought him home and he is doing very well. From dead to feeling very well, in fact he told his mom he felt better then he could ever remember feeling, in two days.

The PE teacher and Fire Chief deserve metals of some sort. The saved his life.

It is all pretty amazing to me and my niece has 4 boys. I was also amazed at how people stepped in to help. We even ended up with the second oldest boy to take care of for a few days. That in it's self turned out to be a blessing. I am not very use to being around today's young kids. In fact they terrify me. But this guy and I hit it off very well. I enjoyed his stay. Even had him working at the scroll saw!! We had a good time. His mom says that is all he has talked about since he went home. Got to have him back to finish up our wood working projects. He even left me with some assignments of things to get done for when he gets to come back.

Life can be amazing!
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 04-23-2015 at 06:49 PM.
    "We the People ......"

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Glad one of life's curve balls turned into a home-run true how things can change in the blink of an eye...Giving thanks takes on a whole new level
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Tokyo Japan
    Thank goodness that the PE teacher had the training needed to keep the boy alive and the Fire Chief went above and beyond to protect his community. Dedicated hard working men for sure.

Just amazing, so very thank full for all involved.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yorktown, Virginia
    Whoeee...glad that worked out as it did. He could have collapsed in a place where there was no knowledgeable help available. Now he has a second chance. Amazing indeed!

North of Reno, NV...middle of the desert
    That's amazing, Paul. One never thinks they would know of someone in their lives that would be part of this kind of story. Thankfully, he had smart, trained folks around him that made all the difference. And it sounds like there's a future FWW member on the way. So glad it worked out.

Kansas City, Missouri
    That is wonderful and inspiring news Paul, glad he's ok and kudos to those that stepped in. Kudos to you on making a new friend and future WW.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Darren said what I was going to say.

Paul, thank you very much for your part in this. The kid sounds great. It also sounds like he has a new mentor!

Thanks Again and Enjoy,
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Amazing in a a wonderful way. Glad to hear that story had a happy ending.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Escondido, CA
    Wow! How an ordinary day can go quickly to an extraordinary day! No one in that story panned this when they got out of bed that morning! Restores my faith in humanity.

Paul, with your talent, why not make a scroll sawed thank you plaque for those two men? Make a collage of symbols of their jobs wrapped around a Thank you ribbon with names and date scrolled in as well. Frame them and have the young guy with his family present them to the two heroes. And call the TV station and newspapers to let them know there are heroes in the neighborhood. They can record the presentation. There is enough bad news available everyday. This is some great news.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Thomasville, GA
    Ditto what Carol said!

People like that don't expect any special recognition, so go for it. They deserve it!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.