You Read/Hear About It Once In a While, But

Paul Douglass

You do not think you will experience. What I am talking about is reading about some young kid dropping dead while playing some sports or something. Will last week my great nephew, 13 years old, collapsed in PE at school and essentially died. His heart stopped. The PE teacher immediately started CPR and kept it up for many minutes until the Fire Chief came. The Fire Chief came because there was no one else available to respond, they were all out on calls. The Fire Chief and PE teacher continued CPR until an Ambulance could arrive. Got him to the hospital and "brought him back" got him stabilized and had him flown to a hospital in a larger city that specializes in heart attacks. They discovered he had a rare heart condition and it required a pace maker to keep his heart beating correctly. Next morning he went in surgery, the following day they brought him home and he is doing very well. From dead to feeling very well, in fact he told his mom he felt better then he could ever remember feeling, in two days.

The PE teacher and Fire Chief deserve metals of some sort. The saved his life.

It is all pretty amazing to me and my niece has 4 boys. I was also amazed at how people stepped in to help. We even ended up with the second oldest boy to take care of for a few days. That in it's self turned out to be a blessing. I am not very use to being around today's young kids. In fact they terrify me. But this guy and I hit it off very well. I enjoyed his stay. Even had him working at the scroll saw!! We had a good time. His mom says that is all he has talked about since he went home. Got to have him back to finish up our wood working projects. He even left me with some assignments of things to get done for when he gets to come back.

Life can be amazing!

Last edited:
Thank goodness that the PE teacher had the training needed to keep the boy alive and the Fire Chief went above and beyond to protect his community. Dedicated hard working men for sure.

Just amazing, so very thank full for all involved.

Whoeee...glad that worked out as it did. He could have collapsed in a place where there was no knowledgeable help available. Now he has a second chance. Amazing indeed!

That's amazing, Paul. One never thinks they would know of someone in their lives that would be part of this kind of story. Thankfully, he had smart, trained folks around him that made all the difference. And it sounds like there's a future FWW member on the way. So glad it worked out.

Wow! How an ordinary day can go quickly to an extraordinary day! No one in that story panned this when they got out of bed that morning! Restores my faith in humanity.

Paul, with your talent, why not make a scroll sawed thank you plaque for those two men? Make a collage of symbols of their jobs wrapped around a Thank you ribbon with names and date scrolled in as well. Frame them and have the young guy with his family present them to the two heroes. And call the TV station and newspapers to let them know there are heroes in the neighborhood. They can record the presentation. There is enough bad news available everyday. This is some great news.

Much like Jim, I can't add much to what Darren said. Glad your great nephew is doing much better, and it's great that you've developed a new shop buddy. Despite outward appearances and stereotypes, a lot of kids today are actually pretty decent humans.

Great story and News Paul. I agree wholeheartedly with what Carol said. Teacher and Firechief deserve all the recognition in the world. They stepped up when needed.
But it sounds like you did too in looking after that youngster. I think its so cool he enjoyed himself with u and is looking at coming back. Great start to a relationship. Kudos to you.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk