question on spraying Target em1000

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, I looked up a bunch of info on setting up my spray gun, and practiced with water quite a bit to get a decent spray pattern out of it.

On the chairs I'm working on, I've got the pieces laying flat on my workbench.

My question is, How 'wet' should the spary coat look when I'm putting on the finish. Since the chairs are a light color, and I'm only lightly coloring the sealer, it's kind of hard to tell how much finish is going down. All I can go by is how 'wet' it looks. I'm thinking I might be putting things on a little too thick, but I don't see any runs.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brent i am no spray guru but something i have seen Allen do was hang parts like you mentioning. Put some small eye hooks in the end and hang them then you can spray all round in the one go at it and not have issues with runs over edges or having to flip only when dry. Spray gun can then be held upright making for better control and even application. Just a suggestion for loose parts.
I was taught light sprays work best.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Well, Second coat is going on 'smoother' I think and I'm getting a little smarter. I.e. I mixed up a quart of sealer and color with the recipe written on it instead of doing a fresh cup each time.

Also Ran a whole cup of water through it to see how to adjust the pattern better.

Not really enough room to hang these pieces, and laying down seems to be working fine, with the exception that I can only do one side at a time.

I might give the hanging thing another think through to see if I can come up with something. Doing both sides at once would be a big time saver.

But at least I like how the color is working. That Transtint really goes a long ways. I'm putting in 8 drops per cup and it gives it a nice little color tone without being overwhelming. I had done some experimentation with less and more drops than that and it's working out nice.

Gotta say I really like working with the water borne finish. Clean up is quick and easy and don't have to worry so much about disposing of excess solvents.

Still using a respirator, but at least I'm not worried about the shop going kaboom!

Like everything else, seems like it's one of those things where you just have to dig in an practice.

...Gotta say I really like working with the water borne finish. Clean up is quick and easy and don't have to worry so much about disposing of excess solvents...

Unless - or even 'if' - your gun is stainless steel, run a bit of denatured alcohol thru it after cleaning, to get the moisture out.

I've got to say, I love this stuff. Took a couple of tries but I think I've got the hang of the spray gun and getting a good spray pattern setup.

But this stuff goes on nice and easy. Got one more 1/2 coat to do (2 sides per coat, 1 side = 1/2 coat) and the first 2 chairs should will be done.

The only thing I might do different on the other chairs is to do some grain filler. There's a little bit of grain showing on these, but I'm not going to sweat it. They are what they are.