Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Press

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

French Press

ok loml got a french press so now i need to learn how to use it. my first attempt will be in the morning so wish me luck. I have been doing some online research but nothing beats experience. Who else uses one and what are your secrets.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 04-26-2015 at 03:47 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Pretty easy, Don't grind the coffee too fine, let it sit for a while, press and drink. I use mine when I'm trying to cut back on coffee, but haven't used it for a while!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Two co-workers use them daily, they swear by them, but haven't tried them myself. One hand grinds his coffee, says it does a nicer job of getting the flavor out, and gives him a bit of a work-out. I did ask him about the filters (if yours has one), says he uses the same one as long as it's the same roast for several weeks before changing it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I would be interested in at least trying a fresh cup of french press

Nice taste if you like grounds in your coffee. I'll stick to my Kcups.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Pretty easy, Don't grind the coffee too fine, let it sit for a while, press and drink. I use mine when I'm trying to cut back on coffee, but haven't used it for a while!
    Nothing to add to that really.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    I would be interested in at least trying a fresh cup of french press
    Stop in any time Leo and my treat

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Nice taste if you like grounds in your coffee. I'll stick to my Kcups.
    Didn't seem to have that problem. There was a tiny bit of fines in the bottom but not enough to fret about.

Came out good not the least bit bitter LOML thinks it was a little stronger than she is used to but certainly not to the point where she need to dilute it. I think with a little practice on the amount and the timing it certainly is a great alternative.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don't over grind your coffee, drip ground is usually OK.

Let it sit if you like strong coffee.

Press down in one motion, don't pour out all of the liquid in the press and you won't get much in the way of grounds in your cup of coffee.

They say, the major advantage is that the natural oils from the coffee beans get into your cup, with a paper filter these are trapped in the filter.

FYI
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

French Press

At the risk of hijacking the thread, another press method that really turns out good results is with a device called the aeropress. I don't know if the recipes for one are compatible with the other, but I found bunches of them online. I bet you could search for French press recipes online and find a wealth of opinions ☺

--dave
    --dave

Myrna and I used French Press coffee for many years. The French Press produces a very smooth tasting coffee.

Coarse grind has been said several times in the posts above this one. I say, "Believe them." The person who taught us to use the FP said to "grind the coffee until it is like small rocks." that procedure does work and it makes good coffee. By using a coarse grind and letting the coffee sit for a bit after pressing, you will get a very clear coffee that you can see through in a glass mug. The clear coffee is a bit more expensive because you use more of it for the same density of flavor. A good coarse grind suits me just as well as rocks and it suited Myrna when she was alive.

Summary: Coarse grind is what you want. Let the coffee settle in the water for awhile. The coffee will become basically clear. Decant off of the top and leave most or all of the coffee powder behind as you wish. Don't use a filter. Personally I like the coffee bean fines in the drink. After all we do eat coffee beans in many delicacy confections.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 04-26-2015 at 08:36 PM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER