Welding or not? Now add some wood...

Garry Foster

Well we here talking about welders on Leo's thread. As I said my little mig was to small for the job I am on. SO I tacked this up with the MIG. (And I tacked up way to much area.) So I ended up trying to weld over to much dirty flux core mig. The welder is Lincoln AC buzz box they still sell. I bought mine second hand at a flea market on 40 highway in Kansas City, Mo for 75.00 well over 35 years ago. I bought some new 1/8 inch 6013 as I had never used it and its supposed to give you pretty(?) welds on AC.

The project will be a Carry-all for my little B7100 Kubota from the 70's as well. For those that don't know what a 3 point carry all is.
https://www.google.com/search?q=3+p...2.5689j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

My Kubota is kinda strange as all the three point items on the tractor are cat 1 size but there isn't enough physical room to mount most cat1 one 3 point attachments. However reducing bushings are readily available. But Cat 0 attachments are quite rare. I actually bought a Cat one at Tractor Supply a few years back but the lower arms on the tractor wouldn't spread far enough to get it attached. Therefor the build.

I don't have the horizontal arms yet as I ran out of angle and have to get to the steel yard. Made a run to HF today and bought a set of Silver Demming bits so I could more easily drill 5/8 inch holes in steel. I driled the ones for the lower pins with a step drill but had to come in for both sides. SO for 25.00 I got from 9/16 to 1 inch by 16ths and a free set of screwdrivers.

But back to the welding.?
The ends I set up where I could weld horizontal and I am basically happy with them.
DSC_0134.jpg
DSC_0135.jpg
DSC_0133.jpg

However where I was welding at 45 deg were pretty bad.
DSC_0132.jpg

An overall view of the project as it now stands. Need the lower arms as well as the top link attachment.
DSC_0131.jpg

Garry

Last edited:
That is a big hole there, did you use some cutting fluid?

You can certainly do great welds with an old Buzz box, and the new rods are just the ticket keep them in a dry container of some sort so the next time you need to use the arc welder you don't have to buy new rods.

Look forward to more pics, isn't it great to have the tools to just make it yourself :D

Well, the fellow who taught me what little I know about welding always said "when in doubt grind it out" and then reweld. So if you're not sure about the welds and are trying to weld on slag I'd follow that advice and try to get a good primary bond.

Well, the fellow who taught me what little I know about welding always said "when in doubt grind it out" and then reweld. So if you're not sure about the welds and are trying to weld on slag I'd follow that advice and try to get a good primary bond.

I'm pretty sure I have enough weld for this and what it will do. I did grind some out but not much.

Welding done only woodwork left..

Well I finished up the metalworking today. Just need to paint and add the planks. Below is the work i did today..

First a picture of my old Buzz Box..
IMG_1310.jpg

Here is How I held the ears for tacking. If my welding table looks a lot like my router table it's because it one and the same..
IMG_1313.jpg IMG_1312.jpg

After tacking I left the bolt only to hold things in alignment while I welded it up.. It worked as the link pin slid right in, lignment was right on.
IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

I finish up the lower arms in the next post..

Here is how I made and attached the lower arms.

As they were small hole to be drilled for attaching the wood I used the mill so I could space evenly without marking and center punching. I usually would have center drilled and then drilled a pilot hole but I just used a letter E drill and cutting oil. The white cup is a Spillmaster and really cuts down on the messes when using cutting oils. even if it gets dumped it lets very little oil escape. I didn't use flash and the pictures are a little blurry.

IMG_1319.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the setup for welding them on but i used a couple of Kant Twist clamps and a square to tack things up. With such little surface area and the lengths involved it was a little touchy and pictures were completely forgotten.

After I was done I hooked it up to the little Kubota and I think I am going to really like it. Not counting Rods I have less than 20 dollars in it. If I had too buy all new angle it would be close to $50.00. Wood will be scrap on hand but I may spring for orange paint...
Here it is attached to the B7100..
IMG_1326.jpg

The welds may not be pretty but I have bounced 250 pounds up and down on the very end of the arms and it seems very solid...

Last edited:
Very cool. Should be very handy to have around to help move things around. Kind of like a small forklift type thing. Nice!

Well i learnt a ton in this thread thanks Gary. Had no clue what a carry all was never mind 3 point and all the welding bits and pieces.
As Stu said nice to be able to make your own stuff Eh!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Now with woodworking

Well I have finished up the little 3 point carry-all.
Had some pretty nice pallet wood laying around for 6-7 years, so that became the wood. This stuff was hardwood and pretty thick. So I planed them all down to the same thickness and then used the table say and a strip of ply to straighten and clean up the edges. Cut them in half and then at 40 inches got most of the end splits cleaned up. Forgot pictures but here is the planer chips ready for the flower beds.

IMG_1350.jpg

The bed attached in the shop/garage..

IMG_1351.jpg

And out in the yard ready for work....

IMG_1352.jpg

An enjoyable project that I hope to use for many years..
Garry