A hollow form that's not a hollow form!

G'Day All

Well its with much trepidation that I make my first post on the forum...
I have no hollowing tools so thought I would cheat a bit.
Turned cylinder out of a piece of Camphor Laurel (a local weed) and turned spigot on top.

Cut into top and bottom sections

Hollowed out bottom and shaped and turned a step at what will be join

mounted top using spigot and hollowed lid out, and made opposite recess for joining.

Remounted bottom with face ring that was left on and fitted lid and glued using tailstock without centre pin out.

Used lathe as clamp while glue set.

Then turned groove at join and filled with sawdust and CA.

Cleaned up and finished.

Sorry to be so long winded and hope I didn't leave anything out.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 41
Bernie, for a local weed that's sure some pretty wood. As you've proven, there's more than one way to hollow out a piece of wood. Sounds like you had fun figuring out the process, too. Good job. :thumb:

Bernie,

Nice work! To us, that's an exotic wood! ;) It sure came out beautiful.

And don't worry, you're not being long-winded. To me, as a beginning turner, your description sounds like shorthand. Did you take pictures of each step??? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Nice Bernie, I did similar but using a contrasting piece of wood as a ring to hide the joint. I like the idea of the filler, This woold also be a good place to use some colored stone & epoxy inlay material. Nice Lidded Box with the top sealed...

Takes the excellant grain structures of your Camphor Laurel to bring this off well.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
Hello Bernie,

Looks good! I have been doing these for several years. It was a good way to use up all the thin wood I had before becoming addicted to the round stuff. :)

I will try to add a pic of one I did several years ago.

Best wishes,
Dave

Attachments

• Curly Maple with dyed top.JPG
    Curly Maple with dyed top.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Stuart,

You are a lucky man. I would love to see a demo by Eli Avisera. From everything I have seen, he is a wonderfully creative and gifted turner.

Best wishes,
Dave

Thanks Stuart,

You are a lucky man. I would love to see a demo by Eli Avisera. From everything I have seen, he is a wonderfully creative and gifted turner.

Best wishes,
Dave

You are sure right, the guy is amazing, and one heck of a nice easy going fellow.

I was lucky, as I was one of the only guys in the group who speaks English, (Alex was there too!) so I spent a lot of time talking to him.

Links to the pics from the weekend of turning.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/eli_avisera_demo_day1.htm
http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/eli_avisera_demo_day2.htm

if you look on the second page, about halfway down, you will see where he does a split hollow forum, with inserts!

Cheers!

Sorry for the hijack Bernie :eek:

A WEED?:eek: Man, I wish we had weeds like that growing around here. The only weeds we have that are useful are dandelions, and only if you like to make wine with them.:rofl:

Oh boy, I just crack myself up.:wave: Sorry, guys, I think I forgot my medication again.:D

.....Gord

More Weed

G'Day Gord

This is larger piece used for a lazy susan, 18inches dia. from memory, Camphor Laurel is a declared noxious weed in this area.

Cheers
Bernie

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 5