Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pizza Peel

Pizza Peel

Had a friend that got really into making bread, crackers and of course homemade pizza over his extended Xmas break. (He travels about 90% of the year but is off the last 2 weeks of Dec and first 2 weeks of Jan.) He has a few of my bowls and a his wife bought him a cutting boards this year for Christmas. Anyway...he broke his store bought peel towards the end of his time off and he asked me to make him a new one. This one is about 19" long at the handle and the main part is just under 15" square except for the shaped parts. 1/2" Cherry and poplar with a mineral oil finish. I just used the belt sander to get the front lip to just under a 1/4" so it will slide up under the bread or pizza in the oven.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11037283_10153637846886729_5198769873451639886_n.jpg  
    Last edited by Jeff Bower; 04-28-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Forgot the pic!!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Pics?

I have a store bought one, but it's lacking in a few areas and will undoubtedly follow the path of your friends (in fairness it's had reasonable use for 10+ years). A replacement is eventually in the cars though. The nice long handle would certainly be nice, I've taken some hair off of my arm a time or two with the current setup. 1/2" seems like it might be a smidge on the thick side? Be interested to hear how your friend like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Pics?

I have a store bought one, but it's lacking in a few areas and will undoubtedly follow the path of your friends (in fairness it's had reasonable use for 10+ years). A replacement is eventually in the cars though. The nice long handle would certainly be nice, I've taken some hair off of my arm a time or two with the current setup. 1/2" seems like it might be a smidge on the thick side? Be interested to hear how your friend like it.
    That would help wouldn't it Ryan! Edit to add photos above...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I like the looks maybe a little longer in the handle.
    David

Looks good, Jeff.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I need a new one too. Got to get going on one. Design looks great !!!!!!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Would be nice to have one out of hardwood. I'd think it would be a bit more nonstick than my generic store bought pine one.

Tacking it on the list.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I have a nice piece of stainless steel for one. I want to put a nice hardwood handle on it.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Thanks everyone...David, I wanted to put a longer handle on it too, but got the specs from the new owner.
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    I have a nice piece of stainless steel for one. I want to put a nice hardwood handle on it.
    Those are typically the normal oven used pizza peels. The one above is used as a cutting board after removal. There are thick ones, but they normally are used by places that don't put much on the pizza's. Then there are thinner, pressboard type material ones, that by the time you add a pizza, your talking 5 pounds or better your holding out there.