Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New House Milestone

New House Milestone

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with the draftsperson out at the lot. We will talk about drawing the plans for the house. I have the floor plan drawn in SketchUp. The point for hiring him is to have approved plans for the county. Mucho dinero but there is no getting around this. The county requires plans signed off by a licensed engineer, architect, etc.

My question is how much detail do I need to provide? I know the design elements I'd like in terms of doors, windows, and roofing material. And colors. Does he need all that? The point for asking the question is to not add to his already hefty fee if I can avoid it. They never tell you how you can save money, only how you can spend it, and the more the better for some reason.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Well i would approach it by putting the ball in his court.
    He know he has to draw plans that meet with town approval and certification engineering wise. So ask what he needs from you to do this and what level of detail he requires and what the cost will be.
    Most of the trades have a ballpark idea of costs like this based off a cost per square foot basis and little extras are neither here not there his estimate based on overall floorplan should be pretty close unless you having some really exotic highly detailed non standard or non traditional aspect added to your home.
    Very happy for you, to hear this news and that its moving along. Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

These should be done by a licensed Architect. Don't know the cost in that area, but anyone worth .29 cents will go though several drafts to give you what the idea is...on paper anyway. Check local reg's on who can do the drawings...or finalize them. Your "Drafteman" may work for an architect. Ask the county who needs to approve the drawing spec's. Usually, the boss draws them up, county makes corrections and so on so fourth. Plan ahead so surprises are minimal!
    If you know this already...sorry.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Any homeowners associations?

If so colors may need approval. Doors (width wise), need to be known (handicapped accessible), and I would think some basics on the windows (single pane, double pane, etc). Basically I would take my list, so you can answer his questions, as he will know what he needs to ask and then have him glance over your list, just to make sure there are no surprises. (oh, your planning a shop, we need to upgrade my electrical design)

Bear in mind that more detail showing what you want on the plans leaves less room for a contractor to cut corners. My architect quoted me $1,500 to produce a set of stamped drawings to meet code requirements for my detached garage with apartment . I would shop around to see what kind of deal you can find. There are actually very competent designers around that can do the plans and have connections to get the stamp. Maybe that's who you have found. If that's the case and you can review some of their previous work...go for it.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 05-01-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Well, maybe not progress forward, but not backward either. Wonder if sideways is a form or progress?

We met. He is a draftsman who has his plans stamped by an engineer (which the county requires). Fees start at $6K. He did bring up another issue I need to resolve with the neighbor's property and my septic issue. This afternoon I will be visiting the county health department. Architectural fees start at 3 times that.

As for the other details, I will gather the various catalogs for doors and windows, make my selections and pass them along. He gets his technical data from that. No HOA to deal with. I need to pencil sketch exterior elevations. They go to the engineer who engineers them. Once the structural integrity is determined, its on to the actual plan drawing. Then permit application. For an additional fee he will bring it through the county and deliver stamped, approved plans. May be worth it. We will see.

So we are off and limping along. I am doubtful we'll ever get to the running along stage.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Carol Reed

Times have changed, but every municipality is different . Last time we were looking at doing an addition to our old house, the city only required elevation, floor, and a cross section plan (showing footing to roof), I drew all those myself. The city engineer signed off on it and as long as everything met the standard building codes they'd pass inspections on it. I did have to have a licensed carpenter doing the framing work in order to not submit further drawings, they seemed to trust the fact that those guys were licensed and knew what they were doing. Probably safer to do full drawings though, that way they've signed off on everything.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Yikes!! The first $55K is for permits and fees! Holy cow! The septic is another $20K. I knew this would not be cheap, but holy cow! We are now $20k over budget and haven't bought the first 2x4. I wonder if my heart can take this.

That $75K gets me water, septic, and approved plans. Then I can price 2x4's. And they are already $4 a pop.

I love where I live and I will pony up the money, but I will still probably have a heart attack in the process. And now I am in the shopping for a building loan business as well. Had hoped to avoid that.
    ++++++

Carol Reed

WOW! and I was aggravated about having to get a 25 dollar driveway permit! That's crazy! If I remember correctly when we built 8 years ago the total for permits was around 800 dollars.

Sounds like my neck of the woods. Here after permits you openly faced with a development fee. Just a cash grab by the town. Adds at least $60 to the property regardless of the rest.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers