OK all you IT gurus here is a problem for ya -- Fixed

Don Baer

Staff member
earlier this week in the middle of the day will trying to long on I encountered a time out error this continued and still continues to this day now here is the tricky part it only happens from one particular location my home wireless connection. A this time i am loged on using the wi-fi on my smart phone I am using the same lap top that I have used for years but now for some reason it times out when using my home Wi-FI but not using the android phone through verision wireless. Now for some more information, the same thing happens when I try to use my tablet it gets the same error. MY home connection is via a wireless router and is connected to a DSL line. IT happens in both windows 7 on the lap top and also windows 8.1 on the tablet. It doesn't matter if I use IE or google chrome the same time out error. everything worked fine last week and I have not changed anything on my end.

I did the following test this morning to see if maybe the router was the probelm or maybe my carrier so here is what I did. From the command prompt on the lap top I did a ping test using the DSL connection with the following result.
Ping google.com ave time 58 ms
Ping Familywoodworking.org timeout.

Then I connect using my smart phone
Ping google.com 74 ms
Ping Familywoodworking.org 102 ms.

I have rebooted all the components cleared all of the caches I am at a loss as the where to go next Iwill check back later using my smart phone to see what your suggestions may be.
:huh:
Oh one other thing. This is the ONLY site that I am having this problem with.

:huh::huh:

Last edited:
:dunno: Seems like kind of a highly localized thing. Wifi is weird. Around here, when wifi gets weird, wifi gets rebooted.

Doesn't sound like you have a lot on the wifi. Is it a 2.4 Ghz router? Could be that there are a lot of other 2.4 GHz devices around you. Typically you have channels that you can set the router to, 1 -14 in most cases. Channels 1, 6, and 11 would be non-interfering channels, meaning they wouldn't overlap one another. There are apps for smart phones (Android, Wifi Analyser) and pc's (for pc, Inssider is the app I use) that you can download to view all the wifi access points around you to see what channels they are on. View what other strong access points are around you and pic a channel that is either opposite of the others or one in between to see if it helps. Could also just experiment with other channels to see if it helps during the slow times.

Wi-Fi signals are not real dependable. Changing the location of your router may help. Raise it, place near a door, etc. Or, if it is older it may be weak. Many home routers are N300 (I haven't a clue what the number means except some kind of 'puter horse power). Several months ago I had to replace mine and did some shopping. I have had great luck with reconditioned electronics found at Amazon. I ended up with an N750 for about $30.00, several hundred dollars under new price. There are also repeaters that can extend the range of your signal. Downside: :eek: A powerful router may let neighbors pick up your signal. Do make sure you are password protected. I was at a friends house recently and picked up the wi-fi signal of a neighbor two houses away.

well as a followup I took Darren advice and downloaded both apps. I discovered my neighbor behind me and the one to the west were both on Channel 1 same as me. My neighbor to the east was on six so I set our wireless to 11 and not only is it better but the net seems to run a lot faster now. The router in auto auto select mode and the net was defaulting to 1. Also while I was checking the router status the admin program found a firmware update that I need so I am sure that also had something to do with solving the problem. Thanks again Darren for your help. What a great resource this forum is.

well as a followup I took Darren advice and downloaded both apps. I discovered my neighbor behind me and the one to the west were both on Channel 1 same as me. My neighbor to the east was on six so I set our wireless to 11 and not only is it better but the net seems to run a lot faster now. The router in auto auto select mode and the net was defaulting to 1. Also while I was checking the router status the admin program found a firmware update that I need so I am sure that also had something to do with solving the problem. Thanks again Darren for your help. What a great resource this forum is.

Awesome! :thumb: I had that issue a while back, but most recently I realized that my 5 year old router just had too slow of a processor for the amount of devices connecting to it, so an upgrade was in order. I went from a 25 mbps download to about 100 mbps just in adding more processor to the router, so don't think that an old router can perform as good as the newer ones, got to think about upgrading the hole pipeline from time to time also. ;)