Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Cyclone type thingamabob.

Looking for a Cyclone type thingamabob.

So, I've got a home made Thien baffle on a trash can hooked up to my delta dust collector.

I thinking it might be nice to get some kind of a cyclone adapter for it or something.

Wondering if anyone had any tips for what I should get.

The Super dust deputy is definitely on the list, but just tossing it out there.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I think aside from the Super Dust Deputy, the only other choice would be to build your own version of a Penz design. That said, I'm not sure your Delta DC has enough power to support a proper cyclone. I'm interested to see what some of the others (who know more about dust collection than me) have to say.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The Thein is doing pretty much the same work as a cyclone. In a review of the add on type of separators (FWW, last year as I recall) the Thein was rated very highly. Keep in mind what Vaughn mentioned, cyclones (and the Thein) reduce air flow dramatically, that's why commercial cyclones (properly designed ones) have larger impellers and motors than a single stage unit of the same capacity.

"Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

It has been years, but the ebay clyclones are based on one that I think it was a school in Virginia that designed one. I read up on it and my understanding was it wasn't as effective as the Pentz style (same with the Thein), but gave more performance with lower HP then the Pentz requires.
    I was looking, because of height issues with my shop that pretty much eliminates any Pentz design.

Stu Ablett has a home-made Pentz cyclone in the Dungeon workshop in Tokyo. Maybe he can chime in on ceiling height requirements.

The concept of a cyclone is that the dust is brought in at the edge so that it spins; as the spinning slows it moves down the cyclone, until near the bottom it stops for an instant as it changes direction to be sucked up the center of the spinning column. Anything that allows spinning and slowing works, but the Pentz design works FAR better than the average trash can. And one way to improve the efficiency of the cyclone is to have a long straight feed into the cyclone so there is no turbulence as the spinning starts.

That instant of stop is where the dust is dropped, so the dust collector has to be below the cyclone, but a short wide collector should work as well as a tall collector.

The fan (impeller) is normally at the top of the cyclone, but I bet there could be an elbow at the top and the fan could be at the side. Or since the impeller itself isn't that tall perhaps it could be belt driven from the side, since the motor is usually the tall part of the fan/impeller assembly.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Vaughn touched on my concern about the hit that a separator or cyclone put on your airflow. This was also my experience with a separator and I got rid of it. A crude example might be:

2HP cyclone, 14-1/2" impeller = 1350 CFM
    2HP bagger, 12-3/4" impeller - 1700 CFM

Even with the larger impeller (and all the other design parameters that go into a DC) the cyclone puts quite a hit on the system. Consider what one will do to your system that is not really designed with the cyclone in mind.

Given the opportunity, I would dump the cyclone and vent outside with a 3HP bagger in a heartbeat. Proximity of my neighbor's fountain prohibits this for me but, dad gets away with it at his place ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

To be quite honest, my current setup is WAY less than optimal.

Delta 50-850 (1.5hp, 1200 cfm) With decent 1 micron bags hookedup to a trash can with a home made thien baffle with 4" ductwork with too many sharp bends and too much flex hose.

Adding one of these cyclones and redoing the duct work I think will only make a positive change to the system as a whole.

It currently does a much better job of trapping dust from my radial arm saw and table saw than not using it, and I don't have any problems with it collecting chips from the jointer and planer.

But I know I can do better.

I think I'm going to go with the plastic Super Dust Deputy and give that a go.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Brent of all the members here i would have though your ability to vent outside is best in group. Have you considered it?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Definitely giving it a think. Seems like it would help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Brent of all the members here i would have though your ability to vent outside is best in group. Have you considered it?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk