Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple Walnut Bowls

Couple Walnut Bowls

Finished up a couple of walnut bowls last night. The large one (second photo) is just over 11" in diameter and the smaller one is just under 7". The smaller one I filled a crack with some coffee grounds and CA glue but the bit at the rim came out as I was wet sanding with danish oil...not sure what to do now, might just leave it alone and use it for a catch all in the shop. These are pretty thin for me, just under 1/4" ...think I'll go back to thicker ones next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150505_201002.jpg   IMG_20150504_191831.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Nice work, Jeff! The grain balance on the large one looks great!! Even with the additional "character", the small one ain't bad, either!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Thanks Bill!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Nicely done, Jeff. Now see, if you didn't insist on turning everything so dang thin, and instead went thick like I always do, you wouldn't be having all this trouble with crack filling.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I like 'em both. I would try and wick/fill that crack with thin CA, followed by medium. Rub some finish on each side of the crack to limit the CA spreading and then a painters tape dam at the rim to hold the glue/grounds . Spot sand it, add another coat of DO, let 'er dry and bring on the popcorn!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Nicely done, Jeff. now see, if you didn't insist on turning everything so dang thin, and instead went thick like I always do, you wouldn't be having all this trouble with crack filling.
    My Website

Thanks Ted...That's pretty much what I did while turning the bowl...guess it can't hurt to try and do it again.
    My Website

Nice work Jeff i specifically like the size allows the wood to show well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

I have used several different kinds of filler, but never coffee grounds. Interesting. Gonna have to try that. But, nonetheless those are some nice looking bowls to me. I personally don't turn mine that thin. Makes them prone to all kinds of bad things. But, don't give up on the one bowl. Play with different things until you get what you want. Nothing wrong with developing a new technique!
    Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

Anytime spent learning something, no matter how trivial it seems, is not a waste of time.

What's up with this?! I'm making thicker bowls than you??? Time to re-think my style! Very well done Jeff...finish is perfect!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots