Couple Walnut Bowls

Jeff Bower

Finished up a couple of walnut bowls last night. The large one (second photo) is just over 11" in diameter and the smaller one is just under 7". The smaller one I filled a crack with some coffee grounds and CA glue but the bit at the rim came out as I was wet sanding with danish oil...not sure what to do now, might just leave it alone and use it for a catch all in the shop. These are pretty thin for me, just under 1/4" ...think I'll go back to thicker ones next. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20150505_201002.jpg
    IMG_20150505_201002.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20150504_191831.jpg
    IMG_20150504_191831.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 36
Nice work, Jeff! The grain balance on the large one looks great!! Even with the additional "character", the small one ain't bad, either! :thumb:

Nicely done, Jeff. :thumb: Now see, if you didn't insist on turning everything so dang thin, and instead went thick like I always do, you wouldn't be having all this trouble with crack filling. :rofl:

I like 'em both.:thumb: I would try and wick/fill that crack with thin CA, followed by medium. Rub some finish on each side of the crack to limit the CA spreading and then a painters tape dam at the rim to hold the glue/grounds . Spot sand it, add another coat of DO, let 'er dry and bring on the popcorn!

Thanks Ted...That's pretty much what I did while turning the bowl...guess it can't hurt to try and do it again. :thumb:

I have used several different kinds of filler, but never coffee grounds. Interesting. Gonna have to try that. But, nonetheless those are some nice looking bowls to me. I personally don't turn mine that thin. Makes them prone to all kinds of bad things. But, don't give up on the one bowl. Play with different things until you get what you want. Nothing wrong with developing a new technique!

What's up with this?! I'm making thicker bowls than you??? Time to re-think my style;)! Very well done Jeff...finish is perfect!

Thanks Ted...That's pretty much what I did while turning the bowl...guess it can't hurt to try and do it again. :thumb:

Even if you have to do a bit of touch-up sanding around the repair, you should be able to hit the area with a light coat or two of Danish oil and carry on with the rest of your finishing like nothing happened.

Thanks again everyone! :thumb: I refilled the crack last night and hope to get back at it this weekend...I'll post a "fix" pick when I can.