Latest from Google Self-Driving Cars...

Art Mulder

anyone else out there as fascinated as I am with the advent of self-driving cars?

Just came across this article today: https://medium.com/backchannel/the-view-from-the-front-seat-of-the-google-self-driving-car-46fc9f3e6088

Yeah it is kind of a self-serving article, written by google... But I am fascinated to read about how far the car looks ahead, at how the car anticipates things like someone cutting across their lane, and so on. Unfortunately I have also read that they really do not deal well with snow (falling, as well as on the ground) at all.

Sure, I actually like to drive. But on the other hand, I hate dealing with Toronto traffic when we head that way, and long highway miles just wear me right out. If I could even let the car just deal with all the highway driving, I would be so much happier.

As well, I'm currently 50, and I can really forsee that cars like this will really help with extending my independence further into my senior years.

...art

anyone else out there as fascinated as I am with the advent of self-driving cars?

Just came across this article today: https://medium.com/backchannel/the-...t-of-the-google-self-driving-car-46fc9f3e6088

Yeah it is kind of a self-serving article, written by google... But I am fascinated to read about how far the car looks ahead, at how the car anticipates things like someone cutting across their lane, and so on. Unfortunately I have also read that they really do not deal well with snow (falling, as well as on the ground) at all.

Sure, I actually like to drive. But on the other hand, I hate dealing with Toronto traffic when we head that way, and long highway miles just wear me right out. If I could even let the car just deal with all the highway driving, I would be so much happier.

As well, I'm currently 50, and I can really forsee that cars like this will really help with extending my independence further into my senior years.

...art

Well tell them to hurry up because my independence is going to need extending.

Enjoy,
JimB

Before I consider one, I'm going to have to know how they handle back seat drivers. Fully half the conversation in my car is my "navigator" telling me to "be careful", "he's turning", "his break lights are one", "he's stopping" (never mind that he's half a mile or so down the road), "watch that car" (the one that's stopped or parked on the side of the road), "there's a siren behind/in front of us", ... Love her dearly, and if I miss a turn, it's her fault for not telling me in time.:D:D:D

My mom used to tell the story about her dad and a certain cousin who was a bad back seat driver. One day he was driving the Model T with my grandma riding shotgun and my mom and the cousin in the back seat. Apparently the large machine nut that held the steering wheel was loose, and after Granddad had heard enough nagging from the cousin as they were tooling down the road, he removed the steering wheel and handed it to her. He continued steering by just grabbing the steering shaft (or whatever it's called) until they reached their destination. (He was a strong Kansas farmer with a very stout grip.)