Pocket Holes for Jigs

glenn bradley

When you think of pocket holes, don't forget how easy it is to just go ahead and slap that jig together. I wasted twice as much time as it took to make the jig and route out this hollow trying to do it some other way.

urn-temp-jig (1).jpg . urn-temp-jig (2).jpg . urn-temp-jig (3).jpg

It's funny how sometimes the simplest of ideas take awhile to come to the top. Thanks for sharing that. I know that some woodworkers hold the Kreg jigs in less than high regards but I find mine to be the perfect solution for many applications.

I find mine to be the perfect solution for many applications.

Agreed, it is a great problem solver and I have even made pocket-hole drawer boxes on my last two shop cabinets . . . I guess that was a problem solver too since I was tight on time.

As to the bench on bench; oh yeah, lovin' that thing.

Glenn, Is it necessary to use screws on large finger joints like this, or are these screws to facilitate opening and closing an urn? Whenever I see them I wonder, because they are really going into end grain and, without dowels, probably don't hold much. Maybe they hold good enough?

Glenn, Is it necessary to use screws on large finger joints like this, or are these screws to facilitate opening and closing an urn? Whenever I see them I wonder, because they are really going into end grain and, without dowels, probably don't hold much. Maybe they hold good enough?

On a box this size they are not necessary. I needed to take this apart a few times while working out the inserted piece of lasered maple that is part of the ad-hoc design. On G&G drawers I don't use mechanical fasteners when I use a rabbet along with the fingers. For larger inset G&G drawers I do use them as a mechanical 'belt and suspenders' but, this is just something I like to do once a drawer gets up around 20 or more inches wide. With a floating bottom and the stress some folks put on drawers, I just sleep better but, probably not necessary :).

Last edited:
Pocket holes were found on some of the Egyptian furniture found in tombs like King Tuts. (saw it in a book on their treasures)
We may not consider them "fine" furniture joints, but they are no different then any other connection method, a useful tool and a reason to use them or another method (like dowels for that jig), is a mixture of speed verses practice/skill advancement.
My dad uses pocket screws all the time to create things to get stuff done. Perfect for that, and if you don't glue the joint, he can unscrew them, reuse the screws and scrap wood.