Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG..I'm a Piddarler

OMG..I'm a Piddarler

Sitting out in my shop and looking at the table project I have been working on for six months now...I just rrealized...I'm NOT a woodworker...I'm a Piddarler. I sit in the shop and piddle around. I work on this, I work on that, but mostly I sit and drink beer, listen to my Bosch work radio and think about doing things, or I go off on a tagent and do something for the shop, because that is what Piddarlers do..lol..we don't work on projects, we piddle around. any good woodworker would have finished this project in two weekends or several days, not me. I had to work on my dust collection system, then reorganize my clamps, make a sharpening station for my planes, which I use about once a year, etc... etc...anything BUT what I am currently working on.... why...because I am a PIDDALER. So who is with me, any piddalers out there, woodworkers have been getting the credit for way too many years, I think there are way more piddalers then woodworkers. Unless you are getting paid to do woodworking, there is absolutely no reason the put a deadline on any project, just piddle around with it, you'll get done eventualy. I am a proud piddaler and I have NO stress when it comes to woodworking projects, because piddalers take foreever to do anything and we don't care...lol..in fact I think I need another beer, the table can wait, been waiting six months, what another month or two.....

Get a mop your going to need it.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

OK, so I'm with you. My "problem" is I have so many different interests in my shop: building furniture, boxes, etc.; small turnings; molding acrylic for turnings; learning more about CNC projects. Lately, most of my attention has been on my CNC but I piddle with other stuff occasionally.

The last major project I finished - a queen size platform bed - took me at least two years to complete. I kept hitting that point where all I wanted to do was piddle with smaller items. It's not that I didn't know what to do next on the bed; I just didn't want to mess with it! I wanted to piddle!!!

I guess maybe we should start a forum section for those of us who like to piddle, huh? Nah - we'd be too busy piddling to post anything!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Guilty. Like the title Proud Piddler though.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Piddlers of the world unite!

Yep, Guilty as charged. I'm taking time out today to just piddle around and do a few things in the shop now that I've got one phase of a project done before I go to the next.

I've got so many interests and I tend to fluctuate between what I want to do and more pressing things around the property that 'need' to be done.

But I enjoy my hobbies and they keep me occupied and 'relatively' out of trouble.

Then theres that J.O.B. thing that seems to absorb way more than it's fair share of my available time.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I admit it.... I piddle
    Faith, Hope & Charity

When I was a kid we used to go on fishing trips to the ozarks. One time my dad took us into I'm thinking Springfield Missouri? Anywho, they had a Bass Pro Shops store there, and this was WAY before they had big stores like they do nowadays.

This was like 35 years ago? (That hurt to type). It was a huge store, at least for that time. My little brother and I really could not understand how my dad wanted to go up and down every single aisle in the store. We were bored to death.

Needless to say, I now completely understand and have done the same thing myself at Cabelas and Scheels and if there was a Bass pro in town I'd do it there too.

My brother and I named Bass Pro Shops 'Piddlers Paradise'. Good times, Good memories now.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post

Needless to say, I now completely understand and have done the same thing myself at Cabelas and Scheels and if there was a Bass pro in town I'd do it there too.

My brother and I named Bass Pro Shops 'Piddlers Paradise'. Good times, Good memories now.
    i guess i must confess i am a prodigiously prolific persistent piddler. I make it a point whenever i travel i always check to see if there is a bass pro shop anywhere in route. so far i have been able to visit shops in california, illinois, colorado, mo. nashville, destin fl, neveda and arizona.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Okay, I admit it, I am a piddler. I spend way too much time piddling. My piddling has gotten worse as I have gotten older. My piddling is not just confined to my shop.

I do try to do my piddling in private. I thought everyone did their piddling in private. I am shocked to learn that some people have piddled in Bass Pro Shops all around the country. I do most of my piddling when no one is looking.

My wife doesn't like it when she thinks I am just piddling. She wants me to accomplish something. She takes all the fun out of doing nothing.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Over in the corner - hand raised

Hello - My name is Leo

I am a piddler