Thread: portable work shop

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

portable work shop

interesting idea but i don't think it will fly.

i did not notice that the end of this is an add offering a good deal that seems to good to believe. like any think if it is too good to believe then it probably is. the only reason i posted this is i saw this unit advertised for $599.99. anyhow just offering up the idea for discussion. i think if i lived in a tiny apartment or if i wanted something for a motor home it might not be a bad idea but i think it would lack ppwer and precision for any real big projects.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 05-18-2015 at 04:38 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

ABQ NM
    I think your assessment is right, Don. I've seen a few of my non-woodworking Facebook friends talking about how cool this system looks, but everything about it looks to me like it's underpowered and not nearly robust enough to do accurate work. I think it'd be a big let-down for anyone who's trying to work within any tolerance smaller than about 1/8". The "drill press" attachment alone looks about as flexible as a Russian gymnast.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I think most of the folks on forums like this have a different viewpoint than the average Joe. That being said, the thing looks rickety, even in the commercial. Despite the repeated sound of that solid "click" sound effect if the setup is that wobbly in the commercial, I can only imagine real life but, I'm a skeptic.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Tokyo Japan
    This system will find a place in the market for sure...... at a flea market and garage sale in a couple of years
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thomasville, GA
    What kind of ad is that, anyway? There wasn't any "BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE."

Interesting that they chose "Festool Green" as their color.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    I don't see them cutting anything substantial with it. The colour makes me think it may be made by the same manufacturer as Ryobi. I have a few Ryobi tools, and I'm quite happy with them, but I can't see myself putting even my Makita circular saw into a tabletop and calling it a table saw. Besides, what good is a multi-tool system without a lathe?

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Reno NV
    Interesting, but to me, appears to be way overpriced for what is basically a 'toy'.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

You took the words out of my mouth Brent, that looks to me like a toy tool, the only one that it may work more or less decently could be the drill (not the stand) and even then I have my doubts.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

East Freeetown, Massachusetts
    I really wanted to come back and offer up a different perspective

I cannot - it's junk

I don't know the selling price, but, it's not worth it.

I bought a Ryobi tool set with many of the same things in it.

The circular trim saw is really handy - maybe 2-3 1x4 pine cross cuts - then it's dead.

forget the light

the drill will work - but that is it.