I forgot to take pictures

Chuck Ellis

so this probably never happened....:)
Last Saturday at the Farmer's Market, I had a customer come into my booth and tell me he had a "whole pile" of burls off a tree he cut... he didn't know what kind of tree it was... he said he knew his trees but didn't recognize this one ? Long story short, went out last Thursday to see and pick up the burls... he did have a pile, but he had cut some of the limbs long and left the burls attached... turns out to be oak, and I had about half an F150 bed full, plus he had 5 2' logs about 8-9 inches diameter of walnut that had been drying for a while... some of it's checked, but still useable ... the burls all range from about 3" to about 8" diameter and there's probably 30 or more of them...

Later same day, another customer said he had two cherry logs I could have if I wanted them, so one the way home Thursday swung by his house and picked up all 5 of them ... they range from 2 ft to 3 ft long and are closer to 10-12 inches diameter.
And he had another cherry standing in his yard that had been partially cut, but the main trunk was still standing about 12 foot high.. at about the 10' mark, there was a 2 or 3 foot burl forming on that tree.... put dibs on it if he ever cuts the rest of the tree.

Will try to take pictures next day or so to prove I ain't lying. :D:rofl:

Finally got out to take some pictures... here is the pile of oak limbs with the burls... every limb has at least one burl...
new 006.jpgnew 004.jpgnew 001.jpgnew 005.jpgnew 002.jpgnew 003.jpg

And here are the cherry logs and part of the walnut... the rest of the walnut is in the shop, one already cut for bowl blanks and the other standing inside the door waiting to be run through the band saw.
new 017.jpgnew 014.jpgnew 016.jpg

This is some of the smaller burls I've cut and laid in the shop. I turned one and it's pretty nice, but the pictures didn't turn out... will try them again. new 006.jpg

Last edited:
Chuck, I believe you! Sounds like you have a nice bonanza of wood to work with. Burls are great stuff to work with. I'm jealous about the cherry. No such thing around here. Might be out in East Texas but not around here. Look forward to seeing some of the pieces you turn from that haul.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... :rolleyes:

gK6eVhX16J63m.gif

:rofl: