Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: goodby Symantec

goodby Symantec

I have been a Norton's/Symantec user for many years but that may have ended. My computer has been down to a crawl for several months and I had no idea what the problem was. Tried all the usual fixes. Well, yesterday, I started getting Symantec error messages. Tried running Norton's utilities and got more strange messages. Decided to clean it all out. Uninstalled everything Norton or Symantec. Wow! 'Puter zips right along now, like the old days. For the moment, I'm without virus protection but will download AVG in a few mins and use that. It has worked well for my wife.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Very impressed with AVG. Of course if you reinstall Norton it may work fine now. Software is strange sometimes.

Which reminds me. I need to do some cleaning on my computer and defrag and all that good stuff. If I could quit using it long enough that is.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

What's a virus? Whats a defrag? Must have something to do with Windows. Some people have all of the fun.

Forget Microsoft, use Fedora

Then you'll have lot's of fun.

Yann.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, so keep your hands away and watch out!

Frank...I used to be a walking advertisement for Symantec.....Then when I couldn't get their products off my machine without destroying most of the other software on it......I quit using it.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-27-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling correction

I'm a bit biased, because I work for a company that competed* with Symantec in one aspect of their system maintenance suite, but the Norton security products I've seen are more invasive and pervasive than a lot of the viruses and junk they're supposed to stop. I won't install them on my machines. AVG should keep you well-covered.

* Actually, it's no longer a competition...we cleaned their clock. Our product outsells the combined competition (from all companies) 20 to 1.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Steve Clardy Guest
    I dumped norton a couple of years ago when I was still running win98se.

It had taken over seemed like. I like to have never got it all off the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'm a bit biased, because I work for a company that competed* with Symantec in one aspect of their system maintenance suite, but the Norton security products I've seen are more invasive and pervasive than a lot of the viruses and junk they're supposed to stop. I won't install them on my machines. AVG should keep you well-covered.

* Actually, it's no longer a competition...we cleaned their clock. Our product outsells the combined competition (from all companies) 20 to 1.
    Vaughn and Ken, y'all nailed it. I uninstalled. Was happy. Rebooted couple times for good measure. Few minutes ago the big Norton's update screen was running. And I can't find the AVG I downloaded.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

And which product might that be?

If you don't want to post it here...how about a PM?

Symantec

We used to use this product until one day I did a virus scan with another virus scanner and found like 50 virus's and spyware programs that Norton didn't.

One problem that I have seen with norton is that it is never really un-installed completely. I know after my uninstall, I had to edit the registry to delete entries that norton added, then had to get another program called Unlock to unlock Nortons protected directories so I could delete them as well.

A royal pain.

and dare I say that McaFee is getting to the point that its a pain as well...
    I think we should bring back DOS!!!
    George Blevins
    Astriapo@earthlink.net