Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain, rain...sometimes it's just peaceful to listen to.

Rain, rain...sometimes it's just peaceful to listen to.

Rain made for a peaceful afternoon beating on the shop roof. Had planned to work on some projects in the house, but ended up watching the grandson all weekend, so got a little of this in while he was napping.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-24 14.09.21.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	90568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-24 14.09.32.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	90569

I've been saving casings for my pistols for the last 5 years, wasn't cost effective to reload them. I have quite a stock and pretty cost effective to load now.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I love being quiet and listening the the rain. In the shop I will have the doors open and maybe do some painting.

I've been known to go out and sit in our RV trailer when it is raining just to listen to it on the roof and do some quiet thinking. Very relaxing.
    "We the People ......"

I love to reload if powder wasn't hanging out with all the Unicorns. Have everything but the powder . Started raining steadily about an hour into my Red Tail ale brew...it survived!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I love sitting under a shelter listening to the rain and drinking coffee. Peace!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Darren what size casings are those? Looks like 9mm to me or i am guessing .38?

BTW would you ever consider reloading .22 casings? Is it worth it?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    ...would you ever consider reloading .22 casings? Is it worth it?
    Since they're rimfire, .22 casings can't be (practically) reloaded. The primer needs to be replaceable for a casing to be reloadable.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Some rain would be nice, it threatened over the weekend but nothing near us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Since they're rimfire, .22 casings can't be (practically) reloaded. The primer needs to be replaceable for a casing to be reloadable.
    22 is actually sort of a manufacturing nightmare:
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...le-22-rimfire/

However someone actually sells a kit (apparently there were nicer ones in the 30's but still a bit dubious safety and cost wise):
    http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

Frankly the idea of having to handle the priming compound like that creeps me out, I don't even like handling regular primers so you sure won't see me trying it!!

A reasonable alternative is some of the high velocity pump up 22 air rifles, there are some pretty interesting things out there in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Darren what size casings are those? Looks like 9mm to me or i am guessing .38?

BTW would you ever consider reloading .22 casings? Is it worth it?
    They are 9mm, I'm planning to load for my .380's and .45's as well, just haven't saved up as many casings for either yet. I know a few folks that do reload their .22 casings, but mostly just because they can and enjoy reloading that much. I'm still buying .22's weekly at about $3 - $4 a box (of 50, limit 2 boxes a day). Seems like production of them is slowly catching up and they are becoming available more and more, just not sure we'll see the prices go back down to what they were a few years back.

Ryan, I've only had one primer ever go off on me and I admit I was doing something stupid at the time using a dental pick to remove a crushed one that didn't go in right, trying to salvage a casing...I got it out though. However I was living in my apartment at the time reloading in my garage at midnight. I'm sure it made the neighbors think there was a drug deal going bad downstairs from them.

Though I've got a progressive press, I tend to do my reloading in steps. Typically I'll clean old cases, then run them through the resizing/decapping die, hand resize if needed, clean again, then hand prime all of them, then do powder, bullet, and crimp in the last operation. I find breaking up the operations helps with isolate a igniting primer from being anywhere around powder since I empty and clean the press and workstation between loading.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    A reasonable alternative is some of the high velocity pump up 22 air rifles, there are some pretty interesting things out there in that regard.
    Oh yeah, I have been sorely tempted on those in the past. Interestingly enough, Lewis and Clark took along an air rifle on their expedition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

I've been tempted to get this one a number of times. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjam...ifle_Pump/1534
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash