Importance of safety equipment and good planning

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
My office mate totalled his race car this weekend - pretty dramatic crash at around 100mph with a jump, several rolls, and a fire!

He wasn't hurt though (besides some minor whiplash) and made it out of the car in (count it) 13s from the landing while the car was on fire! Really a testimony to the safety equipment and practising using it properly and also to practising getting out of the car.

Not woodworking, but the lesson about knowing what to do when and practising it a bit ahead of time sure follows over.

Looks like he didn't even attempt that curve. Must have lost steering? Pretty dramatic footage. I'd love one of those cams in my cars.

Lost his brakes actually - you can see he started the curve right at the beginning but was going way to fast to make it and decided to let it go over the berm. He'd have rolled either way but might have missed the jump (or might have done the jump sideways while rolling).

Wow! Lucky he landed right side up, but nice to see the safety guy with the fire extinguisher got there fairly soon.