Thread: Oak Bowl

Parker County, Texas

Oak Bowl

I like the colors and grain patterns in live oak. This bowl is no exception. There was a crack in the base area of the bowl that I turned until it was gone. Too much of a crack to try and make look nice. The bowl is 13 1/4" in diameter, 2 1/4" high, and 1 1/2" deep, Perfect size for somebody, though I don't know who that somebody is. Yet. I will when they buy it. Even though I have a fair amount of oak on my land, I don't turn a lot of it as it is not a hot seller for some reason. I put a ring bottom on it because it seemed like the thing to do. The wood received two coats of walnut oil to seal the wood and give a base finish and then several coats while spinning a walnut oil/shellac mixture.

Reno, Nv
    That thing looks tough enough to take on Ironman! Nothing wrong with oak...plenty good from here.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    good job Dave. I think i'm one of the few that likes oak. At least oak burl .

Parker County, Texas
    Thanks, guys! It was tuff enuff (there's even a Fabulous Thunderbirds song by that name) where 90% was done with my 3/4" and 5/8" gouges. Only the last finishing passes were done with a 1/2". Of course I always start with the largest gouge possible and work my way down. Easier on the arthritis that way. I have an annual fair coming the first weekend in December and I plan on having several oak pieces ready for that. Why not? I figger if it starts selling I'll just pull more out from a tote bin.

Yorktown, Virginia
    Good looking bowl. Pretty wood is pretty wood. I'll turn anything with decent figure and have found some really nice spalted oak on occasion.

ABQ NM
    Nicely done, Dave.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    I like it - it has a bit of a "Viking M&M Bowl" feel. Robust in a refined sort of way (if that makes sense - the wood/grain is robust, the form refined).