Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lathe for the true turners

New lathe for the true turners

Watching Hillbilly Blood and watching the latest in wood turning. Take an old vehicle and weld plate up for the face plate
    then bolt to rear hub and away you go. What a hoot. But the boys did turn a nice bowl with no lose of life or limb.
    They also made there own turning tools. Neat program but weird.
    David

Might have to check that out. I've considered hooking something up to the tractor PTO, but that also seems like a real good way to get all wrapped up in your work (so to speak).

Canadians did this years ago!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    Canadians did this years ago!
    Yes they did, in fact it was the Crazy Canadian who did it:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Might have to check that out. I've considered hooking something up to the tractor PTO, but that also seems like a real good way to get all wrapped up in your work (so to speak).
    I considered that also with my old Massey-Harris tractor. But, then I got sensible and considered the size and strength of the tool rest I would need, the size of the actual tools and whether I was willing to sacrifice a limb or two and changed my mind.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
    Watching Hillbilly Blood and watching the latest in wood turning. Take an old vehicle and weld plate up for the face plate
    then bolt to rear hub and away you go. What a hoot. But the boys did turn a nice bowl with no lose of life or limb.
    They also made there own turning tools. Neat program but weird.
    David
    Keep in mind those TV shows are edited.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I have seen videos of guys doing things like that. Just because they made a video of it does not make them smart. I spent 26 years as a US Marine and have many scars to show for it. I don't think I will stick with using a piece of equipment made for doing what I do. I guess a bit of my adventurousness has gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I considered that also with my old Massey-Harris tractor. But, then I got sensible and considered the size and strength of the tool rest I would need, the size of the actual tools and whether I was willing to sacrifice a limb or two and changed my mind.
    Yeah, but it would also justify a fork lift so you could use one of the forks for a tool rest and hook up a chain on the other to keep the tool from gettin away!!

For the record everything I've said in this thread is a horrible idea, but since we were talking entertainment to start with I'm just rolling with it - to make sure that's clear.

Best quotes I've seen so far describing the show (I've never seen it, so just taking these for humor value):
    'if "hillbilly blood, a hardscrabble life" is supposed to be reality TV then "gilligan's island" could have been as well'
    "the bearded feller with the propper dialect and the buckskin coat definitely ain't from around these parts!"
    "They must have been born with a silver slingshot in hand." (possibly my favorite )
    "Yes he does have very nice hair...but us women need to have someone good to look at when we watch TV"
    "I gotta tell ya, the guys on this show talk too fast to be for real."

On the other hand we have hillbillies in the Northwest as well, so I reckon its more state of mind than a locality. Cindy no longer has to ask "are we going to visit your hillbilly relatives or your redneck relatives this time?" cause she's met them all and knows the difference now.

I can't believe you posted this today! I just caught that show last night for the first time, right during that turning scene.

Let's just say it's earned a spot on the DVR. What I can't believe is that I only caught this show on Episode 28 of season 3? How many episodes are there!

It all seems very 'staged', but what 'reality' shows arent?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yeah I figure all the TV programs are made up living but it does give you a good laugh. Reminds me of the Red Green some time ago. But they used duct tape. Maybe they're still on but I haven't seen the show in many a year.
    David