New lathe for the true turners

David Johnson

Watching Hillbilly Blood and watching the latest in wood turning. Take an old vehicle and weld plate up for the face plate
then bolt to rear hub and away you go. What a hoot. But the boys did turn a nice bowl with no lose of life or limb.
They also made there own turning tools. Neat program but weird.
David

Might have to check that out. I've considered hooking something up to the tractor PTO, but that also seems like a real good way to get all wrapped up in your work (so to speak).

Might have to check that out. I've considered hooking something up to the tractor PTO, but that also seems like a real good way to get all wrapped up in your work (so to speak).

I considered that also with my old Massey-Harris tractor. But, then I got sensible and considered the size and strength of the tool rest I would need, the size of the actual tools and whether I was willing to sacrifice a limb or two and changed my mind.:D

Watching Hillbilly Blood and watching the latest in wood turning. Take an old vehicle and weld plate up for the face plate
then bolt to rear hub and away you go. What a hoot. But the boys did turn a nice bowl with no lose of life or limb.
They also made there own turning tools. Neat program but weird.
David

Keep in mind those TV shows are edited.

I have seen videos of guys doing things like that. Just because they made a video of it does not make them smart. I spent 26 years as a US Marine and have many scars to show for it. I don't think I will stick with using a piece of equipment made for doing what I do. I guess a bit of my adventurousness has gone away.

I considered that also with my old Massey-Harris tractor. But, then I got sensible and considered the size and strength of the tool rest I would need, the size of the actual tools and whether I was willing to sacrifice a limb or two and changed my mind.:D

Yeah, but it would also justify a fork lift so you could use one of the forks for a tool rest and hook up a chain on the other to keep the tool from gettin away!!

For the record everything I've said in this thread is a horrible idea, but since we were talking entertainment to start with I'm just rolling with it - to make sure that's clear.

Best quotes I've seen so far describing the show (I've never seen it, so just taking these for humor value):
'if "hillbilly blood, a hardscrabble life" is supposed to be reality TV then "gilligan's island" could have been as well'
"the bearded feller with the propper dialect and the buckskin coat definitely ain't from around these parts!"
"They must have been born with a silver slingshot in hand." (possibly my favorite :rofl:)
"Yes he does have very nice hair...but us women need to have someone good to look at when we watch TV"
"I gotta tell ya, the guys on this show talk too fast to be for real." :rofl:

On the other hand we have hillbillies in the Northwest as well, so I reckon its more state of mind than a locality. Cindy no longer has to ask "are we going to visit your hillbilly relatives or your redneck relatives this time?" cause she's met them all and knows the difference now.

I can't believe you posted this today! I just caught that show last night for the first time, right during that turning scene.

Let's just say it's earned a spot on the DVR. What I can't believe is that I only caught this show on Episode 28 of season 3? How many episodes are there!

It all seems very 'staged', but what 'reality' shows arent?

Yeah I figure all the TV programs are made up living but it does give you a good laugh. Reminds me of the Red Green some time ago. But they used duct tape. Maybe they're still on but I haven't seen the show in many a year.
David

I realize that you were kidding on wanting to do that, Ryan. But just think. There will be some ding dong actually try and do that and either cause serious injury to him or someone else. But, then again, it might be interesting to watch them do that. A mechanical engineer friend and I have been churning around the idea of building a lathe to handle large bowl blanks (28" to 40") turning only at slow speeds. Haven't gotten anywhere with the idea past the thinking, but time will tell.

...But the boys did turn a nice bowl with no lose of life or limb...

Interesting post I saw on Facebook just now:

Jeff Jackson added 3 new photos
dOvEFApmO1S.png
feeling annoyed.

Last summer I got an order off my online store for a Maple Burl salad bowl to be shipped to North Carolina. It turns out the lady who purchased the bowl is the line producer for the TV show Hillbilly Blood. At the time I thought it was cool since this was one of my favorite shows. As I was watching tonight's episode about them turning a bowl with those crude tools I was shocked when I saw the finished product. The finished bowl that they "supposedly" made was THE SAME EXACT ONE I SOLD HER!! I RECOGNIZED RIGHT OFF THE BAT THE RIM DESIGN AND THE BURL EYES ON THE BOTTOM!!! It's one thing seeing your work on TV but when others take credit for the something you created is another!!! I am offended someone would do this with my work!! I wonder if they sanded out my signature I had engraved on the bottom. It just goes to show the "real" in reality TV. This show just lost a viewer!!!

So no big surprise, but the show is as rigged as a 3-masted schooner. ;)

Boy you just can't trust anybody thesedays. I rather figured the bowl was turned elsewhere as the "lathe" was just a little out of kilter.
Anything for the ratings.
David

down on the farm . . .

What do you do when you are down on the farm and the wife announces she wants a new hot tub?

I deny any and all knowledge of anything concerning this picture. I found it on my computer with no recollection of ever seeing it before or placing it on my computer myself. If there is any doubt, I deny any and all allegations and all alligators, although if somebody has a spare or two I need a couple for my ponds.

Hu

Attachments

• big segmented bowl.jpg
    big segmented bowl.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 9
What do you do when you are down on the farm and the wife announces she wants a new hot tub?

I deny any and all knowledge of anything concerning this picture. I found it on my computer with no recollection of ever seeing it before or placing it on my computer myself. If there is any doubt, I deny any and all allegations and all alligators, although if somebody has a spare or two I need a couple for my ponds.

Hu

Here you go Hu:
http://www.wwideas.com/other/the-biggest-wooden-bowl/

Some folks do some pretty large stuff as a matter of course like Dave Barkby (http://www.barkbywoodsgallery.com/page1.aspx) here's a high res of him at work :eek: you might notice he's turning a lot of air as well:
Wallhangings_photos_from_brochure_005.jpg

Ryan,

What I notice about Dave's set-up is the gap floor wood lathe! I have seen some gap beds but the gap floor is new to me. I used to have pictures of metal lathes 120' long, maybe longer. The claimed longest metal lathe in the world now isn't as long as one I once had pictures of. I had pictures of one with a dual carriage assembly which is pretty common on big lathes. What made this one stand out was the enclosed operator's cabs on each carriage!

A friend worked at Avondale ship yards. He showed me a short piece of curl off of his lathe. About an inch and a quarter wide and an eighth inch thick off of a prop shaft, not exactly something that cuts like butter. Should have had a chip breaker but he thought it was funny to have twenty or thirty foot curls peeling across the shop. Bill had his ducks in a row but I used to wonder how much a mistake by him cutting something undersized would have cost. Avondale is closed now, I suspect hundreds of millions in machinery scrapped. Might be sitting idle, the yard should be kept functional just in case it is needed for some future war effort. It wasn't a city but it was a fair sized town!

Hu

Ryan,

What I notice about Dave's set-up is the gap floor wood lathe! I have seen some gap beds but the gap floor is new to me. I used to have pictures of metal lathes 120' long, maybe longer. The claimed longest metal lathe in the world now isn't as long as one I once had pictures of. I had pictures of one with a dual carriage assembly which is pretty common on big lathes. What made this one stand out was the enclosed operator's cabs on each carriage!

Heh, yeah a gap floor lathe is taking it to a new level :D Just looking at that thing gives me the heebies.

There are still a few wood lathes that big out there:
Although at some point it doesn't really resemble what we think of as a lathe in form or operation any more.

A friend worked at Avondale ship yards. He showed me a short piece of curl off of his lathe. About an inch and a quarter wide and an eighth inch thick off of a prop shaft, not exactly something that cuts like butter. Should have had a chip breaker but he thought it was funny to have twenty or thirty foot curls peeling across the shop.

:eek: :eek: That would be rather terrifying in practice, those curls are often a wee bit on the sharp side. I'm not sure how you'd even safely clean something like that up!

Bill had his ducks in a row but I used to wonder how much a mistake by him cutting something undersized would have cost. Avondale is closed now, I suspect hundreds of millions in machinery scrapped. Might be sitting idle, the yard should be kept functional just in case it is needed for some future war effort. It wasn't a city but it was a fair sized town!
Hu

Wikipedia claims its being run by an oil and gas concern, although no indication of what they're actually building there or what machines are left.