This may be a bit of a rant, so I apologize.. We're needing a new HVAC system, so been spending this weekend getting read for the installation later this week. First up, I removed a 20 year old evergreen shrub and poured a new concrete pad for the new condenser to sit on. Didn't want the guys having to trek around in the mud, so got some weed mat and mulch put down.
Next step I needed to remove the bulkhead they built in our laundry room, which covered the entire ceiling as there didn't seem a reason to drop the entire ceiling in the room and we want to have room to stack our washer and dryer.
The only part that required a bulk head was about 2 feet in where they dropped the duct to allow for the main power feed to the house. the rest of the ceiling could be full height.
So here is where the rant begins. Seems the previous owner didn't seem that is was necessary to put the wiring for a 100 amp service in any kind of protective enclosure. so the 4 wires I thought were coax wires for satellite service (and about to be cut), were actually 100 amp feeds for my shop! Luckily I looked at the print on the lines to see what they actually were before snipping them in two. I now have some HVAC guys coming in and working around something that may cause me a law suit if they don't know any better.
I did take care to wrap them in red tape, will post a sign on them, and will shut off the breaker while they are there. I plan to remove them from the breaker box and re-run them in conduit in the near future.