Crib "Project in Progress"

I'm going through my Wood Magazines lately and I seem to remember that picture / plan in one of them. It was within the last two years. Try getting on their web site and looking for plans. they will have hardware sources.

Hey Matt, have you started yet?

Git-R-done Grampa!! :wave:

I assume you will build it to break down, using that break-downable hardware?

You do know all the sizes that are allowed for the gaps between the slats etc?

Nice design, are you working in a new tool purchase somehow....... :rolleyes: :D

Come on, get on it!!! :thumb:

Matt,

I just finished my crib for my son who is 7 weeks away. I went with 2" spacing on the railing except on the two end spaces, where i went 2-3/8", but i only did that because it helped the other rails equal out to 2".

I used alder because we were staining really dark, a deep chocolate brown and I personally am not good at staining maple.

as far as hardware, i would look into a company called "products america", they have the hardware kit for the wood magazine crib that was in the sept or nov issue and they were running a special on it. they have a website. I think with the wood magazine as a guide it would be a fairly straight forward project. unfortunately the crib I built was based on a picture so I couldn't follow the mag article.

how do you plan on doing the construction of the rails? i believe i remember you saying you own a mortiser so i am assuming you will be taking that route. the mag offers a different approach for someone without a motiser or mortising abilitites.

good luck with the build, i am sure you will enjoy it. keep us updated.

chris

Matt,

no problem, i don't promise a ton of great advice, but i will help in any way i can. one thing i would say might be a good idea is when you get to the finishing stage, i left my rails apart so that the slats were easier to stain, i wrapped each tenon in blue painters tape to keep them clean of stain for glue up. then i glued and clamped them before i started spraying the finish on them. i think this saved me a ton of time trying to get stain between each of those spindles.

i am sure you know this but just take a lot of time with the planning stage to make sure you don't mess yourself up.

i would look hard for that wood mag article because that crib looks just like your pic if memory serves correctly.

thanks, look forward to seeing your progress.

chris

Matt, I used the product america rodless kit. Pretty good, but my crib plans were for a rodded kit so i had some figuring to do to get it to work with the plans. Luckily it all worked out great. make sure you get your hardware before you start and incorporate into your design. Here is a pic of the crib and dresser I made for my little bugger. If you look close you can see that I decided to hide the front gate hardware by routing out channels in the legs. Have fun. I finished the crib before he was born, but it took 10 months to get the dresser finished.

Attachments

• Crib and Changing table.jpg
    Crib and Changing table.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 34
...I'll be building it here in New Mexico where if it gets over 15% humidity, people around here complain about it being muggy...
Man, that's the truth. :p
...Final delivery will be Jacksonville, Florida where 80-90% humidity is normal. So wood movement will be a big issue...
Build it in a greenhouse? :D Or the bathroom, with the shower running to steam the place up? :rofl:

Sorry, wish I had real advice to offer. I'll be watching to see what the guys who know what they're doing have to say.

Hopefully this will not steer you wrong from your objective, but a few months ago when I was looking for a crib, my wife stumbled across this gem. It was expensive, but great for a nursery that was tight on room. At the same time getting sheets, a mattress and bumpers and stuff for it would be expensive too because your options are limited. Still I think its a great design and I am confident woodworkers on here could pull it off.

2006_09_17_cornercrib.jpg

Congrats on the official start of the project. Jim already said it, and you already ordered it. The hardware is a must to have before the design when starting from pictures. A couple of weekends ago, my Dad and I finished a crib for my sister. Mortising machine....what a timesaver when doing this many mortises. The design was based roughly on Rockler's transitional crib.
Assembly with hardware(600 x 450).jpg

Then in early February I completed my daughter's crib. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2012

Both used the rodless hardware from Rockler. They work great. I like the recessed design of the one you got. The cribs were great fun to make. Wish I had some great idea to deal with the humidity issue...not sure how to deal with that. From your picture, it seems there are not really to many wide pieces. Isn't that the direction one needs to worry about? I think it may be ok.
This friday my dad and I are working on the dresser to go with my sister's crib. This dresser is going to take much longer to make than the crib (about 3 weeks). My sister is due in early July....I hope we get it done.