Mirror backing question

Tom Niemi

Staff member
I am getting ready to put the finish on a medicine cabinet then will be ready to install the mirror in the door (pics to follow soon), my question is should the mirror be backed with anything? If so what would be best? The mirror is 1/4" thick, beveled. Thanks in advance:)

Random thoughts. I think you have two issues to deal with. One is how to protect the silvering on the back of the mirror from getting scratched or rubbed off. The other is how to minimize danger from the mirror shattering if someone slams the door. I found specialty backing paint and backing tapes available on line and they are probably available from a local glass supplier. I would check there first. There is also some kind of specialty glue that glass guys use to glue mirrors with. Maybe a piece of 1/8 Baltic birch plywood glued to the back of the mirror with that glue would work and not add too much thickness or weight?

You can get mirror adhesive in those tubes that fit a caulking gun, way too much but it's not real expensive. But Ted's point about the mirror breaking has me wondering if it should be put in with some type of glazing or molding to make it repairable (maybe an insertable frame). You don't want to use any adhesive (if that's the choice) that isn't made for mirrors, that will keep the silver intact.

Thanks fellas, I will check if the adhesive I bought will work for mirrors, didn't think of that. Along with adhesive, it will be held in with glazier points and thin trim held with pin nails so if it does break, which is unlikely, it can be replaced. I have stiff .007 black graphics film at work I think I will place between the glass an trim to help avoid scratching the back. Thanks again, I always know I will get good advise here:)