Thread: new link belt

new link belt

My refurbished $20.00 garage sale table saw was giving me fits. Wouldn't finish a cut without stopping the blade. Didn't take long to figure out my new belt had stretched way beyond usefulness. I got it at Orschelin's, it is a DEVCO brand. Under an hour use and now useless. I had seen positive comments about link belts and wanted to give them a try but the prices were a deterrent. Then I saw an ad for them from Harbor Freight at $25.00. Worth a try. Installing was easier than the instructions would lead one to believe.
    And, now, as others have reported it has made a dramatic change. Saw runs smoothly (HF calls it a "vibration free" belt) and blade just seems to whistle. I swear it is running faster. Color me happy.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've seen several folks say that's one of the HF gems. Will be interested to hear how well it holds up over time.

I have been running link belts for about a decade. Have yet to replace one. I have them on nearly anything that will take one. My bandsaw and drill press are almost silent . . . spooky. I have used the HF brand (forget the actual maker) with Fenner Drives brand, even using sections from each, without issue.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have been running link belts for about a decade. Have yet to replace one. I have them on nearly anything that will take one. My bandsaw and drill press are almost silent . . . spooky. I have used the HF brand (forget the actual maker) with Fenner Drives brand, even using sections from each, without issue.
    That's been my experience, too. Got a friend out in Azuza, CA that uses the Fenner red belting on his spoke making machines. Probably has about 500 feet - or more- of it on various machinery. Been using it for over 25 years. Seldom, if ever, has a belt failure.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have been using the Fenner RED link belt on my band saw for probably 15 years, and never found a problem with it. Next (when it needs a new belt) will be my belt sander. They may be a little expensive, but I think they are worth every penny.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Glad to see they worked out well for you, Frank. I put the HF link belts on my jointer and drill press, and they smoothed both machines up considerably.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com