so true

Several years before he died, my Dad was seeing a doctor for knee pain. He wasn't a candidate for replacement surgery so the doc was discussing options. He told Dad, "I can't prescribe this but I had an 85 year old patient who suddenly started doing better. I asked him what happened and he said he rubbed WD-40 into his knees every morning and it made a world of difference." Dad decided to try it. Every morning he'd go out to his shop, smoke his pipe, and rub WD-40 on his knees. He swore it helped. When he finished, he would rub his hands on his dog. Dog didn't have fleas that year either. I'm just sayin ....

Years ago creams and ointments containing a compound called dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) were popular for muscle and joint pain. Eventually, the FDA started limiting the use of DMSO, and the topical treatments using it were no longer available. But WD-40 contained (or probably still contains) DMSO, so people started using it on sore joints and muscles. Lots of people swear by the stuff for relief.

But WD-40 contained (or probably still contains) DMSO, so people started using it on sore joints and muscles. Lots of people swear by the stuff for relief.

:eek: DMSO has an interesting property of pulling other chemicals mixed with it through the skin and into the bloodstream (its used for medicine delivery in some cases where people can't have shots like haemophiliacs). For topical application you want to have the area really clean of any contaminants so it seems to me that the WD40 theory would be a really bad idea since the ingredients of WD40 are mostly unknown!!!

Having said that (and you can decide for yourself on the safety aspect) but you can still get DMSO at the pet supply store or vet clinic. It's pretty much the same stuff they used to sell for people (although the vet stuff is usually 90 or 99% and the people stuff was more like 10% - distilled water ONLY if you decide to dilute).

Have a bad shoulder which the doctor doesn't want to talk about. At lastcheck up he suggested Blue Emu oil.
Boy did do a number on my aches and pains. Worked good enough to reach for another cool one. Wife also uses it on her
knee and has good results. The list of ingredients will scare the socks you but if it works who cares.
Maybe it's related to WD40.
David

I