Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House funk

House funk

Color me more than frustrated. Now the county has denied the setbacks originally put forth. Back to square one or maybe even before that. I bought that property because of those setbacks. Anything less for a building envelope makes the project fiscally unwise.

Can they do that? Evidently. Recourse? Don't know yet. Worst case scenario is sell the property and leave California. Can't afford to live here as a renter. Especially after I finally retire. That would really bum me out. I love it here and I love my job. Job could end the end of the year if my contract is not picked up. Not a competence issue but a financial issue there. Out if my hands.

Week is not starting off very well.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Well, I don't really know what to say. It's obvious how much you wanted to be where you are. At one time, I considered taking a position in Sacramento, but things worked out otherwise. Perhaps you're being led in another direction by a higher power that knows where you are really needed.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

What Bill said. So Sorry. Lutherans are welcome in Texas. Come try us out.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Bummer, worth appealing to see where it goes but the reports I've seen out of CA for that sort of thing are often complicated. Always hard to deal with setback like this, my only advice is to look at the sunk costs and figure if its worth sinking more in depending on your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    Lutherans are welcome in Texas.
    Sorry that just struck my funny bone, previously I figured you had to be some sort of baptist to live south of the mason dixon line

Sorry to see this, Carol. Here's hoping you can reach an amenable agreement with the county, and if not, you find something even better.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sorry to hear of your dilemma, I'd try for an appeal, perhaps a one-on-one with the folks you spoke with the first time and try to figure out why they had a change of heart.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Dang, That's a tough spot to be in. So sorry to hear this.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I'll say a couple of prayers for you to the Anglican God. Maybe that will help.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks, folks. You are lifting my spirits. I am pushing my pencil to see if it makes sense to sink more money into this. That's a tough decision in that I have no idea how much more will be needed to get past this hump.

@Charlie: I like Texas. Have friends in the hill country. And the peaches are worth the trip! But I love where I am and I sure would want to stay here. There is a difference. As for consulting with the higher power; that's what got me here in the first place. There is a plan!

Certainly your prayers and uplifting comments are more that welcome. Ain't easy doing all this alone.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

That is really too bad Carol. People still seem surprised that so many are choosing not to live in that state anymore, I will not be surprised if they pass a law making it illegal to sell your house and move out of the state without paying a large fine, I know, never happen right? This kind of over regulation and the large power of the small bureaucrat I'm sure is killing the construction business out there, as well as the renovation work too.

Best of luck.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward