House funk

if you don't mind freezing for 9 months of the year carol, come to minnesota, more lutherans per square foot than any other place that i can think of. :thumb:

But.. but.. the mosquitoes!

I grew up in mosquito country. They were so thick you'd get your daily protein requirement just from the ones stuck in your teeth before noon (earlier if you drove around with the window down and forget about motorcycles!). Some were big enough you'd have to stake the smaller dogs down so's they wouldn't get hauled away. You'd sometimes find the dried out husks of critters in the woods that had been sucked dry by a particularly thick swarm. They were tough enough that they slapped you back when you whacked them. I ain't moving back!

The cold you can get used to. My one college roommate moved to Minneapolis and described his first year as "the coldest 10 months of my life, I'd get up have as hot a shower as I could stand be cold all day, come home, have as hot a bath as I could stand and then get directly in bed under every blanket I owned". By the second year it seemed that he'd acclimatized some, as far as I know he still lives there.

Interesting diversions here, guys. Experienced Minnesota and mosquitoes during 4 years of high school. Hard to get me to even visit the place.

But to make things crystal clear, as much I appreciate your invitations, I have absolutely no desire to move. Since I ranted a few days ago, I connected with a parishioner who actually works in the planning department. Got some light on the problem and a new set of setbacks that were enacted several years ago. Of course the records on my property were never updated as they was no construction activity on the property since the enactment of those restrictions. Color this a landmine. Many of them for the unsuspecting.

So where am I now? I will know more after tomorrow as I have a meeting with my civil engineer. Best case scenario is, I can continue with the floor plan I have with a slight adjustment on the property. Worst case, once the septic setbacks are applied to the building envelope and property setbacks, a new floor plan will have to be determined. What's at stake? Increased costs push this thing off the board of possibilities.

Best thing to happen so far, is the discovery of the parishioner who works in the department. I can get both code and translation from her! And knows who to appeal to in the event I need an adjustment of some arcane details.

Stay tuned.

Sometimes our prayers are answered and we just don't recognize them. A little faith and a lot of elbow grease go along way.
Good for you Carol in slowly getting the problems resolved.
David

Nothing like having someone on the inside who can and will translate for you, best of luck, I hope you can get back to working on your house, instead of working on them allowing you, on your own land, to build your house.

Looking forward to good news tomorrow :)