Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yayyyyyyy!!!!!!!

yayyyyyyy!!!!!!!

while checking things out, i stumbled across a program called meshcam. after reading the propaganda, i decided to give the 15 day trial a go. happy day! it seems to work and play well with my sketchup designs, works out ok on the cnc simulator that i have on the laptop, and today started the real test, running it on the cnc itself. so far so good, taking a bit more time than i expected, but that can be tweaked here and there. i'll post pics of the test items as they are finished. no real wood is being harmed, only some odd mdf scraps that are laying about.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Sounds good, Dan! MeshCam is one of the products shown on Inventables' software page when I was looking at buying my CNC kit. I've had it in the back of my mind all along but haven't needed that capability so far. I'll definitely give it a try one of these days, based on your experience!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Sounds great Dan, Glad you are finding yer way and getting things figured out

Awesome, would like to hear your review of it once you get more familiar with it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

would have gotten a couple more hours of experience with it today, but my wife and my body (after a rough night at work last night on short sleep) conspired to make the rest of me sleep all day today. oh well, there is tomorrow....
    benedictione omnes bene

With the pitter patter of rain on the roof, and the cnc machine going strong, today is off to a good start. Figured out a new way to do the car cribbage boards last night, and ran it through meshcam today,and it looks like it'll work. Rather than hog out the waste around the car, I'll engrave a slightly larger version of the detail work, and do the name and drill the holes.
    benedictione omnes bene

That's awesome Dan, good to hear you're making some progress on it. I might get back to mine soon, but house projects seem to be taking priority lately.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

rats! doing so good today, and then at the last check on it, saw that the z axis was having problems. stopping as though stuck, and making odd sounds. sending a video of it with an email to the inventables gang to see what they think.
    benedictione omnes bene

after a day's worth of fussing and fighting with the machine, accomplished a few things. found out that it was that nut under the bearing that was causing the problems with the z axis. once i got it tightened up again, all was well, for a while, then it started working its way back down again. nothing a little lock-tite cannot handle. then it was on to the photovcarve test. used a pic of my shop assistant, darth shmibbly, for the test subject. not sure why, and i will be sending an email to them asking why, but it took a roughly 6x6 picture and shrunk it down to a finished engraving of roughly 3/4 inch square. oh well, on to the next test. i decided to try a small gear, 9 teeth, about 5" in diameter. for some reason, and once again, i'll be asking why, it took its dear sweet time cutting it (roughly 3.5 hours). i had it set to machine around the perimeter and such, but the toolpath it took, had it wandering all over you know where's half acre, instead of just running around the perimeter (like bill's bracket. did up one of those too, to make sure i wasn't going any goofier than usual). oh well, going to work on the clock for the fair tomorrow, just so i can feel somewhat productive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gear.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

That's Awesome - Gears are sooo cool

Dan - I am sure you will find you way through the scaling error

Cool stuff man