Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End Grain Wood Floors

End Grain Wood Floors

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Maybe for a log cabin in the woods with log furniture. I think it looks too "busy" and actually kind of ugly.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

If you liked that look I would use an epoxy over it to assure a good seal. Like Sam Maloof's raw red brick floor; cool but potentially troublesome to live with ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Interesting, I guess in the right place, it would look good.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I'm a fan of the theory of end grain wood floors, their implementation not so much. Traditionally end grain floors were popular in high traffic and wear applications like barns and machine shops, there are even a few surviving examples of them used for road surfacing. In those cases the pieces would have been cut out split to fit and wedged in quite tightly. It was also common to split out the pith.

There was a very nice example of this in an old cabin up river from my grandparents ranch, but some vandal tore it up and burned it in the late 80s. That was my first exposure and I've been somewhat fascinated with the idea even since.

http://www.pa.msu.edu/services/machi.../shopfloor.htm

http://kaswell.com/gallery/ has a bunch of nicer (IMHO) pictures of installations.

It looks like a lot of work, for something that may reduce rather than enhance the value of the home. Look closely where the sun shines, and see how uneven the floor really is.

Note also the fine kitchen cabinets in the background of the second picture.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Have a friend that did something similar in the kitchen with cutoffs from several barn beams. The beams being rectangle helped to make it more look like a tile floor and a jig made all the cutoffs the same thickness. I think their's looks good...this one is a little random for me but to each there own! You thinking of doing something similar with your kitchen remodel Vaughn?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Nah Jeff, not planning on using this. I saw a number of people on Facebook who loved it, but none of them were woodworkers. Figured I'd post it here just to see if I was the only woodworker who wasn't wowed by the idea.

My feelings were similar to what the rest of you have been saying. I don't mind the look, but it looks like a maintenance problem waiting to happen. I see the unevenness that Charlie pointed out. Also, seasonal movement of the wood would potentially cause grout failure, and the poly finish wouldn't stay crystal clear for long.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Also, seasonal movement of the wood would potentially cause grout failure, and the poly finish wouldn't stay crystal clear for long.
    For machine shop floors they were often pretty heavily oiled (not always intentionally) to help with the seasonal movement issue. However if they got wet (roof leak, etc..) the expansion was reportedly rather dramatic. I guess I'd like to see it once in my life - on someone elses floor

I have never seen an end grain floor done with rounds cut from tree limbs etc. but I did see a floor in a machine shop surfaced with squares cut from 4X4's. It had been in use many years and was almost unrecognizable until you looked closely because of all the grit, grime and oil soaked into the surface.

I have no idea how it was secured to the concrete beneath it. The gentleman who owned the business said the floor was like that when he bought the building and he thinks it is more than 100 years old. Seems like a hard way to get a floor.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.