Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laundry Room Remodel

Laundry Room Remodel

So last week I posted that I had removed the ceiling in our Laundry/Mechanical room to make way for a new hvac unit. In an effort to add some order to the room, we're going to plan on enclosing the furnace and sump pump to add some separation to the room's use. Currently we have a 40 gallon water heater, which somewhat sits in front of our washer's front loading door, then the dryer sits to the right of it. With the ceiling removed, we've gained some height to be able to stack those two machines. I've also got a new tankless water heater on order and should gain a few square feet to be able to give access to a new sink.

So I was at Lowes the other night and on their clearance rack was a stainless single bowl sink, marked down from $149, to $49. I went back to the kitchen area to look at what a comparable sink would be and cheapest new was $110 and wasn't made as well, so I snagged it up.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_463779-59634...=50067601&Ntt=

So my first stab at laying things out goes as follows, sink to the left, folding/hanging space in the center, and machines on the right. I might consider putting the machines in the center and folding/hanging to the right, but not had time to mock that up yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laundry.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	90767 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laundry2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	90768

We've got concrete walls on the back and left side, so there is a half wall built out in front of each of them. I may finish out the one on the left up to ceiling height just to make it not seem weird having the upper cabinet off to one side like it is, at least next to the cabinet, but it is usable space none the less. I'm going to also try to fit the new tankless heater above that wall, but it will be a tight fit since I'll be adding a dropped ceiling down about 6" below the joists.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Sounds like a plan, Darren!

Looks like you're using SketchUp for the layout, which is what I did three years ago for our master bathroom remodel. When the contractor came to look at the job, I think he was shocked that I had a complete layout with dimensions.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Yeah Bill, I'm using sketchup, my wife is a visual person...so saves a lot of discussion and heart ache if I can show her how things will look. I started some 3d home software with our first house and really helped move things along in the decision process during remodeling. It's nice that they have so many appliance and fixtures already drawn in the sketchup 3d warehouse. She's gotten into using Pinterest, so she setup an album to share design ideas she finds with me and I can get a visual for what she wants too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Always good to keep the client happy. Especially if she's a good cook!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Always some great deals at Lowes if you look around a bit.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I like the idea of a sink in the laundry area. Congrats on the good deal.

The main thing I'd miss by stacking the appliances like that is the flat horizontal space for folding and stacking finished laundry. Had you considered making a removable cover for the sink (like you see in some motor homes and travel trailers) so you can use that countertop as a work surface?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    The main thing I'd miss by stacking the appliances like that is the flat horizontal space for folding and stacking finished laundry.
    You mean the top of the washer/drier is not supposed to be a place to stack more junk Pretty sure there's no way you'd ever fold clothes on the top of ours at this point.... .... ..

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I like the idea of a sink in the laundry area. Congrats on the good deal.

The main thing I'd miss by stacking the appliances like that is the flat horizontal space for folding and stacking finished laundry. Had you considered making a removable cover for the sink (like you see in some motor homes and travel trailers) so you can use that countertop as a work surface?
    Adding that to the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    You mean the top of the washer/drier is not supposed to be a place to stack more junk Pretty sure there's no way you'd ever fold clothes on the top of ours at this point.... .... ..
    LOL, it's when half the stuff falls behind them and you find them 6 months later I'm wanting to avoid. I did consider just a top over both, but they are already 39" tall, doesn't make for a comfortable working height for my short wife.
    Darren

Still finalizing plans on the Laundry room, though my wife looked at the ones above and approved of them. I have an idea for adding some shelves opposite of the sink (facing the sink) that will be a part of the furnace closet. I'm thinking of making the shelving unit hinged to the wall, where it's an access point to get behind the furnace and to my sump pump, which will save me some room in the Laundry area.

Today I did some preparation for installing the tankless water heater. Currently my water lines are run in a pocket next to the short wall covering the concrete. I cut out a section of the wall so that I could save some space running the lines to the bottom of the heater. Opening the wall, I found the following...Can you see what may be wrong with this picture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-13 17.44.28.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	90795

Yup, that is copper lines just laying on top of a concrete wall, no shims, no straps, nothing, just a ticking time bomb. They run this way through the laundry room behind a linen closet, and through my downstairs bath, then exit into the crawl space below the front part of my house. I'll be connecting the new water heater to them for now, but when I do the work to move the washer water lines and drain, I plan to run new main lines across the ceiling where they should have been. My next project is the downstairs bath, which is getting a gut job, so will repair that portion when I start that project in a month or two. I may give the Pex stuff a go also.

Tomorrow I plan to get the new water heater installed, will be a long day, but think I've got everything ready to go at this point
    Darren

Never ending suprizes whats next ...lol. Gotta keep a sense of humor doing this work.
    Good luck on the water heater will be interested to hear the results as to how Momma finds it when wanting a bath. Linda is neurotic about hot water. Next home i would like same type of water heater, our electricity costs are set to go nothing short of sky high so every bit will help.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers