Laundry Room Remodel

That is a consideration. At the time I drew up the plan we weren't sure how much space the tankless hot water unit was going to take. Now that we have that installed I'm going to reconsider the layout.

Almost ready to try out some pex, brown delivered my new crimper set and pex cutter yesterday. I may try them out up at the shop running some new air drops first.

3a67d1db29460c1547d36e803c389e7e.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Things will start moving forward again this week. I'll be throwing up drywall in the bathroom and doing the touch-ups for the laundry room too.

While buying supplies for the bath, I found these cabinets on sale, well, not really. The orange borg had them mis-labeled on the shelfs with 3 different prices. I got them to give me the lowest price, which was about $60 less than the current prices.
2016-03-05 14.12.19.jpg2016-03-05 14.12.22.jpg

The three cabinets will be tied together as shown above. I'll have to remove the drawer face and drawer and put the drawer face on as a delete to install the sink. then the drawers will be to the right of it, then the W&D stacked to the right of them.

Also got the faucet on sale.
2016-03-05 21.46.07.jpg

Well, I guess that last post was an over statement for a timeline (which I've learned not to set, thanks to those that must not be named). :eek: I did finally get started on the relocation of the washer connections today. I've almost re-purposed the cabinets I bought for the laundry room twice now as shop cabinets, but I've resisted. So, today was the day, I put a new cordless Hitachi 18v sawzall to work and removed some drywall. After a little discovery ran to the blue borg (3 times :rolleyes:), and plumbed the drains for the new sink and washer connection box. Tomorrow I'll tackle making the final water supply connections.

2017-09-23 21.14.39.jpg 2017-09-23 21.14.48.jpg

I've always liked working with copper pipes, sweating fittings and such, but the PEX is a pleasure to work with as well. It's like running wiring and so much faster. I'll be connecting the new lines into some existing copper, removing the old washer connections and adding sink connections in it's place. Hopefully I'll have it all buttoned back up tomorrow.

Sooo...you got to go to the blue borg three times, got a new Hitachi Sawzall, did some demo and ran some drain lines and PEX. Sounds like a good time to me. Always liked working with copper too and have been distrustful of PEX based upon absolutely nothing other than my previous experience with it's predecessor-Quest? (PB (Polybutylene) back in the day. I guess PEX has had a long enough run to inspire confidence. Did you have to buy a special tool to install it?

Sooo...you got to go to the blue borg three times, got a new Hitachi Sawzall, did some demo and ran some drain lines and PEX. Sounds like a good time to me. Always liked working with copper too and have been distrustful of PEX based upon absolutely nothing other than my previous experience with it's predecessor-Quest? (PB (Polybutylene) back in the day. I guess PEX has had a long enough run to inspire confidence. Did you have to buy a special tool to install it?

I got the sawzall on clearance a few weeks back for $60, was the tool only, no batteries, wishing I had gotten the 4" grinder they had at that time too.

As for using pex, I was hesitant too, but co-worker had one of his rental tenants call with no water. She had gone on vacation in January for a month and decided to turn off the hvac to save money. :eek: He had installed pex in the rental to save time and with the heat being off that amount of time, every line was frozen solid. He had to replace one toilet bowl that was cracked from ice expansion, but all of the waterlines thawed and had no breaks/leaks otherwise.

I got the tools on Amazon, Lowes sells the solid copper rings, pex, and connections. I think their crimp set was about $120 at the time, but didn't come with as many dies or the crimp ring removal tool, which I did need to use when updating the bathroom.

Crimp too set with ring remover: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVOPRS

Cutters: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8HV16C

Got all the plumbing wrapped up today, but not without a fight. :doh: Seems my main water valve doesn't shut off completely, which happens to be just below where I'm connecting the sink, so my cold water side just wouldn't sweat with the trickle of water running past it, even with MAPP gas. I finally got smart and went and found the vacuum pump I use for bleeding brakes along with the little reservoir used to catch brake fluid. I stuck the hose down as far as I could towards the main valve and sucked up as much water as I could, which bought me about 10 minutes of work time and was finally able to get the joint to sweat. :thumb:

I still need to re-locate the washer's electrical and swap out the plug for a GFI. Also need to swap the breaker for the dryer over to a GFI breaker since the plugs are both next to the washer connections. Once those are done I can re-insulate the wall and drywall it up.

Well hasn't been a whole lot to show on this for a while. This past week I finally finished up mudding the back wall and painted where the washer/dryer were getting stacked. I painted my cabinet faces about 3 months ago and they've been sitting in my way in the shop. Today they got installed. Had to do some cutting on the one where the sink is, to make room for the sink connections and the main water shutoff for the house is behind this cabinet along with a drain clean-out.

I put a drain pan under the washer, but since this is sitting on concrete, I needed to run a drain line over to where it would hit the slope to the floor drain. I had planned to bury this under the two cabinets with drawers, but between the layout not working and the thought of having to get the machines out of cubby they are is. So the line will run in front of the cabinets and I'll overlay a shallow kick board over it.
2018-01-06 14.32.11.jpg

I went and picked out a counter top over half-time. I got to break out the old hand saw dad got me for HS graduation. It's primary job in its lifetime has been cutting counter top edges, not a whole lot more.
2018-01-06 19.38.55.jpg 2018-01-06 19.44.54.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get the sink hole cut, sink installed, top attached, and door and drawers installed I have some electrical work to finish up on the back wall, then will get things painted. I think my wife is planning a tile back splash on the counter area and maybe the upper wall, so have held off doing any finishes to it yet.
2018-01-06 19.54.24.jpg

It's coming along slowly. The other half of the room will involve a small wall around the furnace with a bi-fold, then can look at installing the drop ceiling, but since we use the laundry daily I have to shuffle things around and do a little at a time.

Progress is progress. How's the stack working out? Any problems with vibration or being able to reach stuff?
Working well actually, seems like a lot more room in there now. I'm sure there will be a few unbalanced wash loads, but never had an issue with the stacked set at our old house.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Looks great Darren. Ironically I am doing something similar, building a pantry cabinet that will sit in the garage at the bottom of the stairs from the house entry. This entry opens into the kitchen area. The cabinet will house produce, fruits and misc kitchen items. Items that will do well in the cooler temps of the garage. Need to finish the drawers and doors next week.

IMG_1275.jpg

Thanks all, need to scribe the end of my counter to fit the wall a little better. The sink will fit, but it's a tight fit, so debating if I move the cabinets down about 3/4" from the left to allow a little more wiggle room.
Looks great Darren. Ironically I am doing something similar, building a pantry cabinet that will sit in the garage at the bottom of the stairs from the house entry. This entry opens into the kitchen area. The cabinet will house produce, fruits and misc kitchen items. Items that will do well in the cooler temps of the garage. Need to finish the drawers and doors next week.

View attachment 101681

That's a nice size cabinet Bill, good idea in utilizing the already cool garage. I typically use mine for fermenting a batch of beer this time of year, but just been too busy with other projects.

Don’t you just love those extra trips to the borg lol.
I can’t wait for them to do a drone delivery for small stuff.
Looks like you making progress.
So how’s the Hitachi battery sawzall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk