Modify Drill Press?

Mike Turner

I didnt really see the right place to post this?) Mods feel free to move it if you have a better one.

I have a heavy Central Machinery dp(Harbor Freight) floor model that that works great but I need a bench top model because of limited space.(tried a swap /buy benchtop model w/o much luck).Anyhow I am thinking about cutting the tube and shortening it to make a benchtop one.Any cons on this idea?

If you have to, do it. But, I really regret buying a bench top model. They are limited in versatility. At the time I bought my Grizzly the floor model was only $20.00 more but I wanted to save floor space. Big misteak.:eek: Think twice or three times before doing the modification.

The only major advantage to a bench top, size-wise, is the ability to pick it up and stick it under the bench. The footprint is very close to the same for either format. I do not say this to dissuade you, just to point out that you need to consider why you want to do this.

The base on a floor model has a long neck to support the longer post. When I realized that I hardly ever used the full capacity of the floor model's post and wanted a DP on a cabinet, this was the deal-breaker for me. I realized that once I got the post cut off to an appropriate height for benchtop use, there wasn't enough travel left for the table to meet my needs. Instead I did this:

attachment.php

as seen in this thread.

Last edited:
I'm with Glenn on this. I have cabinetry (though not so elegant as Glenn's) under both my floor model presses.

Putting them on a bench take up just as much area as a floor model does - it's just bench space instead of floor space. Being able to move a bench drill press really isn't all that practical, since it needs to be bolted down regardless, and in case you hadn't noticed, those suckers are both HEAVY(!) and TOP HEAVY to boot, making them hard to move easily.

Glenn, I'm always looking for more storage space. That cabinet you made is a great idea. It would also add some weight to the bottom so if you roll the drill press, it would not be so top heavy. I am assuming the foot of the press is sitting on a platform with the cabinet. If you want more travel you can remove the cabinet. Is that how it works or, is the foot bolted to the floor and the cabinet is just rolled out of the way?

My choice was a floor model for a couple of reasons.

1) Biggest reason - I did not want to sacrifice bench top space.

2) If there was ONE stinkin time I needed the height - I wound regret the benchtop.

I did need the height - a couple of times.

Glad to have a floor model

:threadjacked:

Glenn, I'm always looking for more storage space. That cabinet you made is a great idea. It would also add some weight to the bottom so if you roll the drill press, it would not be so top heavy. I am assuming the foot of the press is sitting on a platform with the cabinet. If you want more travel you can remove the cabinet. Is that how it works or, is the foot bolted to the floor and the cabinet is just rolled out of the way?

Currently the DP is bolted to a ballasted base on a mobile base that has NEVER moved. I built the drawer unit to accept casters that will clear the base once it is bolted to the floor . . . if I ever get to that.

I notice your critical supplies on the bottom shelf to the left. :D

Those are "select-a-size" paper towel rolls cut in quarters. I use them as quickie shellac pads for small items.

Or in case I run out of toilet paper :rofl: . . . . sorry, I couldn't resist.