Yesterday, My civil engineer and I met with the head of the planning department. The reason is that the setbacks were not what I had been led to believe. The new (to me) setbacks, had I known them last year when I bought the property, would probably have made me pass on buying it. But, the numbers I saw then indicated building a house on this lot would be possible.
And it still may be, but....
I will have to apply for a huge variance, with several parts to it. Very expensive, ~$4,000. Part of this variance is rarely granted. So here is the deal. The head of the department agreed I would need the variance to make building a house on this lot viable He also indicated that there was a fair chance I would get it. Further, he suggested that I apply and if I did not get department approval, I could withdraw it and get most of money back. If I get department approval, which my engineer says is likely, then the commission that hears these things is likely to grant it.
Crap shoot all the way.
Downside, delays things an additional 4-6 months. Upside, with my big boss, all things are possible. So as you are inclined, I solicit your support in what ever fashion you deem fit.
Back to preparing the documents.
Building a house is both a maze and an obstacle course.