Thread: Shavings, shavings, everywhere...

Shavings, shavings, everywhere...

After I finished making two purpleheart candlesticks for my daughter, there was still some light left in the sky, so I slapped an 8" pine bowl blank on a face plate, and successfully carved the outside of the blank into the shape I had in my mind. I've cut a tenon n the bottom so tomorrow I can hollow it out, and if it doesn't explode on me as projects have in the past, I'll have something to show you tomorrow. Or maybe Monday, as I have to deal with an event at church tomorrow afternoon. If you haven't done it, it is fun to watch the shavings flying away from the tool as the workpiece morphs into the shape you are looking for. I've a bloody scrape on my little finger that I don't even remember getting, I was having so much fun.

I owe a considerable debt to those of you who have helped me with advice over the months, and that debt will continue to build, I am sure. I should be taking a course, but there are n't any around, and I know there would be no teaching on youtube or on this forum that would be like, "NO, you idiot! That's not how I told you to hold the tool!"

I love the act that my tools are throwing shavings, not dust, and those shavings are coming off HOT. Must be doing something right. With a little work I think I can build a rainproof enclave for my lathe, to allow me to continue on in spite or hail or hurricane.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Rock on Roger!

I've made a few pieces a bit smaller than intended because the shavings coming off were too much fun I think the nicest shavings I've gotten were on green english walnut, was taking some peelings off that were tissue paper thin, about 1/4" wide and were many feet long.. They'd kind of float up off of the tool and drift down around my feet - haven't had any wood before or since behave like that - simply mesmerizing.

I used my lathe yesterday for the first time in many many months. It was fun and I did not realize I missed it. I turned some cocobolo to repair a part of the rewind on my crank organ. It was a small piece, so stupid me didn't worry about a little cocobolo dust and the heck with protection from it. I am suffering this morning.
    "We the People ......"

Making messes with lots of shavings is one of the best parts about woodturning. Glad to see you're having fun. Seeing you mention hot shavings coming off the lathe, I'm guessing the wood was dry. Wait until you get a chance to turn some green wood. That's when it gets really fun.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Making messes with lots of shavings is one of the best parts about woodturning. Glad to see you're having fun. Seeing you mention hot shavings coming off the lathe, I'm guessing the wood was dry. Wait until you get a chance to turn some green wood. That's when it gets really fun.
    I am turning kiln-dried lumber just now. I have turned green wood before, which is why I wondered why these shavings were hot. It rained all day today, and looks like the same for tomorrow. Good days for planting grass seed.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln