11 1/4" Red Cedar Bowl

Dave Hoskins

I turned this bowl early this morning before I got to my cottonwood bowl order I need to fill. Managed to actually get a pretty nice smooth surface on the whole bowl. Had no burring that I could feel or see. I was rather amazed at that seeing I always seem to have at least one burr spot on cedar. It's 11 1/4" in diameter, 3 1/2" high, and has a depth of 2 1/2". I did my usual sealed of the wood with walnut oil and then while it was spinning at around 1000 I applied several coats of a walnut oil and shellac mixture. Hopes ya like it!

Oh, I don't know Jim. I think it would hold a bunch of M&M's, plain or peanut. As far as the walnut oil goes, I use Mahoney's. I have used his competition's and his is a tad bit thicker and does a better job. The mix I use on the walnut oil/shellac is somewhere around 60 shellac 40 walnut oil. I don't measure it exactly. I use one of those squat mason jars and kinda judge the mixing by the ol' eyeball. Works so far. It's a good solid natural finish. I never advertise that my pieces are food safe because it would be just my luck somebody would be allergic to either the walnut oil or shellac. So, to avoid all of those complications I just say it is a all natural finish. Seeing shellac comes from that poor little lac bug, that is pretty much natural to me. Good stuff to use in my opinion. Give it a go!