Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those darn flies

Those darn flies

OK summertime is here, got the smoker going last weekend and the flies are relentless. Tried every thing, sprays, the little green incense thing, citralilla candle, every gave the bag of water with the penny in it a try. My flies could care less, they eat me and the food anyways...lol...so seen this commercial for "Shooaway" https://www.shooawayusa.com/ haven't decided to get it yet. The idea of a helicopter on my table isn't real appealing, especially with seven cats...lol..(I have an outdoor cat fence so the furballs stay outside alot) and cats LOVE spinning things, but it did give me an idea for an experiment. Ordered some small mirror discoball xmas ornments (stop laughing) they were only 5 bucks for a dozen of them. Now my line of thinking is, if it's the light distrotion that keeps the flies away then hanging these around the patio, maybe a few from the umbrella may keep little buggers away. Should be here later this week and will give them a try next weekend, will keep you'll posted.

Thats very interesting. Seems like it would be a little distracting. I once made a whirlygig type thing like that I put in front of our porch light as an attempt to control the moths. It didn't work.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Thats very interesting. Seems like it would be a little distracting. I once made a whirlygig type thing like that I put in front of our porch light as an attempt to control the moths. It didn't work.
    Should have put circus animals on it mounted on sticks, they might have enjoyed that.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Have you tried a fan, blowing across the table? I find when there's a little air movement, they tend to stay where it's still.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Maybe one of these? Probably not super effective, but I'll bet it's pretty satisfying.

http://bugasalt.com/
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Maybe one of these? Probably not super effective, but I'll bet it's pretty satisfying.

http://bugasalt.com/
    Oooh I want one of those.

Mark,
    Don't worry about the flies... they don't eat much.
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 06-22-2015 at 05:29 PM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

don't get me started. I live next to a dairy farm and flies are a constant nemesis. I do preemptive remediation. Fly bait set in pet friendly ways kills a lot. Fly strips set up like barrage balloons. Fly traps with the bait and water kill em by the 100's. an army of kids with swatters. You might consider setting stink stations with traps away and downwind of the grill operations. It is entirely proper to grill in an extremely smokey fashion. You just may need a bio-hazard chemical suit with gas mask.

It really is in my plans to screen in the front porch this year.......same as last year.

I keep dreaming of getting one of those laser defense systems like the one in 2001 Space Odyssey. Now that would be a cool bug zapper.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Well fired up the smoker this weekend, smoked some ribs, they came out perfect. Had to eat in the house because my discoballs didn't work so good..lol...of couse they were endlessly entertaining. All them little light dots dancing around the patio had my seven cats just having a grand old time, flies couldn't care less. Tried Darrens suggestion, had my pole fan up so high wouldn't made Donald Trumps comb over flip to the other side, flies keep coming. Ordered the Shooaway today, will keep you posted on how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E Smith View Post
    Well fired up the smoker this weekend, smoked some ribs, they came out perfect. Had to eat in the house because my discoballs didn't work so good..lol...of couse they were endlessly entertaining. All them little light dots dancing around the patio had my seven cats just having a grand old time, flies couldn't care less. Tried Darrens suggestion, had my pole fan up so high wouldn't made Donald Trumps comb over flip to the other side, flies keep coming. Ordered the Shooaway today, will keep you posted on how it works.
    We fired up our smoker this weekend too... I put a 12 lbs pork butt on at about 11 pm on Saturday, up every two hours Saturday night/Sunday morning to check the fire...... I've done beef briskets but this was my first time on a pork butt to make pulled pork.... if I do say so myself (even though all our guests also liked it) it turned out perfect. Dianne made an Alabama white barbecue sauce to go on it... DELICIOUS

Must have been too hot for the flies though... didn't have any about. Also too hot to eat outside... 'could be that Arkansas flies are more hardy and tenacious than Tennessee flies ??
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.